building a summing amp and need some ideas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

i am designing a 16 input box to sum the outputs of 2 888 24's. i will probably use ad2142(?) balanced line receivers for inputs to the box since i already have a lot of them. then i will follow the inputs with a switch or relay circuit that will send each channel to left, right, or both busses(via 10k resisters), then on to the summing amp where i will probably use burr-brown 2604's.

i am going to make a switcing network that will route channels 1 and 2 either to the bus or directly to a stereo output(straight in and out of the box) so that i can use the 888 outputs 1 and 2 as my main monitor outputs on ptools during tracking, then switch to "summing mode" when mixing something that i want to use the summer for. i am cuirious if anyone has a better idea for the summing amps over the 2604's. ideally i am looking for high headroom, ssl j series type sound. i do intend to put transformers on the outputs of the bus summing amps to feed both monitor purposes and a return to ptools the bounce the new summed mix. i am looking at ideas for the 1-in-3 out transformer. i currently use jensens on a homemade mixer, and also some audiosar transformers also that are high quality. i have heard the 2604's would like to see some beefier line driver before the transformers, maybe even a push pull transistor circuit. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

i tend to think there is an instant improvement in sound once i route a mix to the j series and spread out the outputs, so i think this is a good compromise for rough mixes when not at the ssl room.

hi there,

i agree it always sounds instantly better when i split someones track up our SSL - ours is not so erudite as a J-series, ours is somewhat lower down the Alphabet! - E series to be precise! if i had a pound for every time someone said "wow! what have you just done - it sounds great!" and all i'd done was split it out . . . . I was dreaming of a summing box that was class A, cos i love my API/Neve/Helios/Audix bits. Maybe you should look at Fred Forssell's Website

www.forsselltech.com

where he has loads of circuits to tempt us . . . I think that he has a passive summing amp and an active one.

All the best,

Andy P

Latest posts

Back