good testing method for mixer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hi folks,
I'm going to be moding an old mixer, and I would like to record it previous to mods to see what the difference is. Does anyone have a very accurate method for doing this? I can just stick a mic up there, but am I better just running the signal thru a scope? I want to be able to accurately reproduce the test when the mods are done...

That way when the C14 that I am coating the faders with dries (after 2 months) I can really know what the difference was.

Thanks,
Joel
:guinness:

You'd test it just like any other piece of audio equipment: gain, distortion, frequency response, phase shift (and, in the case of a mixer, other important properties such as crosstalk). You'd need a scope, a low-distortion sine generator and an AC millivoltmeter.

Test procedures are covered in many texts including Tremaine's Audio Cyclopedia, Audio Measurements by Crowhurst, Audio Measurement Handbook by Metzler, and Handbook for Sound Engineers (ed: Ballou).

Sorry, there are no shortcuts if you want to do it right.

Thanks dave-I'll try and source some of that literature.
I have a scope and signal generator.
Joel

Latest posts

Back