heat and the isa 428

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopermc5

So here  is a question about the extreme heat involved in the isa 428 or in general any pre-converter that gets super hot. Can I get some opinons on putting a fan in the rack to cool it down meaning will it be a bad thing to cool it down since I know some things work better at certain temps could I cool it down to much. I only ask because before the fan I almost couldn't hold my hand on the top and with the fan it's not hot at all.

Thanks

A fan can't be a bad idea IMHO. Except for the noise. My friends had some heat related issues with their 428s (relay malfunction). Heat also shortens life of electrical components in general.

Best,

/Dave

Iirc the mains transformer gets pretty hot.
I noticed once on a unit that got very hot (hotter than it's neighboring 428), that the mains transformer mounting screw was loose. They seem to get a lot of heat sinking from the chassis.

Arno said:
Iirc the mains transformer gets pretty hot.
I noticed once on a unit that got very hot (hotter than it's neighboring 428), that the mains transformer mounting screw was loose. They seem to get a lot of heat sinking from the chassis.

Interesting ill check it out.Did both have the adc card installed.
Mine works great but freaks me out that I cant hold my hand on it because of heat.I installed a fan next to it and it stays cool now. I guess my main thing is don't converters work best when their at a certain  heated temperature ? I mean I would think they had to plan for it to work this hot right?

Yeah, my 428's the same around the power supply... Like SILLY hot!! I started getting popping and splats on both analogue and dig outputs... It's at Focusrite now, cos I opened it up for a look-see and one of the molex connectors (from the ps board) had turned brown with heat(!). They say it needs new ps capacitors too...

To me it seems like this is a pretty big design flaw... And Im a little annoyed because they're saying it's not covered under warranty. I only bought iy in '05 and it needs new caps already?! Hmmmm....

Mo

Latest posts

Back