TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys - that was more discussion than I was expecting to get.  everyone seems so secretive about this build.  anyways, it does at least sound like those of you who have built this are pretty happy with its sound even if it's not as good as the chandler.
my only remaining query is then about the controls - and this is based on my ignorance of the original EMI schematic (which is not available to the general public, right?).  How come the controls are different from the original & chandler units? it suggests to me that there's something different going on under the hood.

not explicitly, but no one was suggesting that a self build was likely to be better than the Chandler, or closer in sound to an original EMI.  my extrapolation, I guess.

Hi , could someone give advices with the resistors for the HOLD ? which value do you use ?
I also have an ELMA 04-1130 but it is not for pcb mount.As I am not able to find datasheet (without being obliged to register!) , did someone know if it would do the trick for output?(I wonder because of MBB etc datas...)

Another question

Which switch is the on-off-on switch.  In the build thread at the other site that nobody responds to (at least not for weeks at a time) it mentions that one should be used, but it's not entirely clear where

Andy, that input transformer in your EMI compressor looks very much like an old Sowter.
It looks exacty like the input transformer of some mid 70´s Helios modules which used Sowters.

Also the big output transformers look very much like the Marinairs on the outputs in my Cadac desk.
The number on those is T1803 and they look like giant Lo1166!

Dennis

Rob Flinn said:
Another question

Which switch is the on-off-on switch.  In the build thread at the other site that nobody responds to (at least not for weeks at a time) it mentions that one should be used, but it's not entirely clear where

IIRC fester answered we need a ON/OFF/ON for the bypass switch , I intend to use this one:
http://fr.farnell.com/c-k/7103p3yzqe/interrupteur-spdt-ctr-off/dp/9575049?Ntt=9575049

RedNoise said:
Rob Flinn said:
Another question

Which switch is the on-off-on switch.  In the build thread at the other site that nobody responds to (at least not for weeks at a time) it mentions that one should be used, but it's not entirely clear where

IIRC fester answered we need a ON/OFF/ON for the bypass switch , I intend to use this one:
http://fr.farnell.com/c-k/7103p3yzqe/interrupteur-spdt-ctr-off/dp/9575049?Ntt=9575049

From Fester
2. WHERE and HOW to connect the switches that engages the rele's for the TRAFO or OPAMP selection ?... 'cause i see only the bypass switch ... dear UNCLE can you give me some hints ??

This is ON-Off-ON switch.

Looking at what uncle F posted I'm not sure that he's saying the on-off-on is the bypass switch, or whether its the limit/THD switch.  After all why would you need 3 positions on a bypass switch, they're normally either in or out surely.  Unless i'm missing something ?

you're 'quite' right!I 'meant' the trafo-pass...sorry ,I'm confused!
This said , you can see at the other forum page 2 , a new picture of the "new case" , apparently designed for V1.2 , were you can read "IRON/BYPASS/CLEAN" just near the vu meter .
In your quote , I'm pretty sure Fester wanted to highlight the fact bypass and trafopass were mixed in only one switch.(I really hope this is the truth , otherwise I do not see where to connect this switch !)

Re: TG build thread
by Uncle Fester on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:59 am

So if i understand correctly, when i use an ON-OFF-ON switch i will have IRON, BYPASS, CLEAN ?

Yes, exactly.

I really think this thread would be cool if it's re-named : TG build & help thread ...Moderators???

I think the official build thread is on the DIY-Racked forum, and it should stay at that place and be supported by the Team that sold the project to you.

sintech said:
I think the official build thread is on the DIY-Racked forum, and it should stay at that place and be supported by the Team that sold the project to you.

The reality is that it isn't supported very well there, & there seems to be no reason why we can't discuss it here that I can think of. 

Rob Flinn said:
it would be much better to have it here.
I even cannot get registred at the other site so...
Let's continue here as long as moderators do not lock this thread!(Or explain why it cannot be done here)

So : can someone help me regarding the HOLD switch?Which resistors (and why if possible) do you use here?

RedNoise said:
Rob Flinn said:
it would be much better to have it here.
I even cannot get registred at the other site so...
Let's continue here as long as moderators do not lock this thread!(Or explain why it cannot be done here)

So : can someone help me regarding the HOLD switch?Which resistors (and why if possible) do you use here?

If you look at the pdf of the diagram in the bottom left corner it has values written for the hold switch.

thanks!
In fact I was looking at the mb schemo provided in the v2 , where the values are replaced by "*".

Rob Flinn said:
sintech said:

The reality is that it isn't supported very well there, & there seems to be no reason why we can't discuss it here that I can think of.   

It would be nice to see Fester and Purusha actually support the project you guy's invested in, that's why it's maybe best supported on the DIY-Racked forum, or is it profit and run?

No, i don't think it's profit and run. In reality, it's DIY. Fester's a good guy...i'm sure he'll be around.
The boards look fantastic.

I've almost finished the parts list...whew. Sourcing stuff for this was a bit tricky.
Weird cap values, extinct parts, etc etc..

Biggest thing here i'm thinkin...is matching stuff, AOT...and meters.

Back