TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one channel working, so far. You're right about the meter behaving very differently depending on where the hold control is set. I guess that's something to do with the unusual scale on the meter. The sifams that everone seems to be using do not really have the right scale for this compressor.

I get the meter showing GR when I turn the hold control down, even without a signal present, which seems a bit weird. Do you get the same thing ?

Last edited:
Mine is when hold control at center the meter is at center too, hold max ==> meter max left, hold min==>meter max right. That's the opposite direction compare to the plugins version (1969 ver). May be i connected in reverse. may be i should reverse the hold pot connection, I don't have a clue..do u have experience with the original one?

You have the same happening with regards to the meter as me.

I don't have experience with the real EMI, but have a friend with a Chandler. Although I'm not sure that comparisons with the Chandler are that useful, since this circuit is more like the original TG.

Do you have the bypass boards wired for transformer & transformerless use. Mine is wired for both, but I haven't installed the transformers yet. I am finding that when I switch between iron & non iron modes I still get a signal, which seems wrong if I have no iron in the box just yet.

Last edited:
Didn't the original EMI TG show 'range of compression', so If you want 10db, with no audio.. you move the hold whilst watching the meter to the 10dB mark, the meter then moved back the other way from the 10bB mark to show GR, Chandler do it different so it's more like an SSL.

like this: http://www.youtube.com/user/sintech67?feature=mhw4#p/u/3/F4y9-dQBagQ

The run of TG meters I did are both the same meter spec as the original, and Chandler, but have the chandler scale.

I now have both channels working & it sounds REALLY good, & punchy, which I hope will encourage some others to finish theirs.

I have some Gardeners Transformers I'm hoping to use on this so I have a proper British sound, but I only have one 10k:10k for the input (so if anyone has a spare MU7530 lying around).  

Andy thanks for that description of the hold function.  I couldn't work out why the meter wasn't bouncing about in this mode & was just stationary at , say -10dB.  It turns out I wasn't winding enough signal into it for it to bounce.

Congrats Rob!  You went transformerless for the time being?  I think I'm going to stick to 1:1 trannies.  Is it worth it?  Any pics Rob?

I'm thinkin of going with the 10k:10k Carnhill that someone mentioned sounded nice. New transformer for them i think? Gardner's or Sowter's nice too. Also sent email to participate in the second meter run. Wanted to get in on the first one, but couldn't at the time. Sure as hell don't want a poopy meter.

Yes, i saw that pic long time ago at gearslutz. I clearly remember wiping the drool from my mouth. Obviously, transformers are in the desk. I can imagine the price on those.

Nyway, cheers. Sounds like your project is coming along good.

Nice one Mark,  I have yet to get the transformers in mine.  Hopefully they will turn up tomorrow.  In reality the limiter sounds fantastic without the transformers, so it will only get better with them I'm hoping.

Nice Mark!! Can u tell me the setting (attack/recovery, etc)? I run your dry clip to mine (with zener subs), and i got "different" sound here.

Yeah...It's different, I like yours  :p. Warmer than mine. Did u hear the different between using input trafo and not?

[/quote]

Did you end up using a 604 opamp on the input?

Mark
[/quote]

No, I just connect direct to input (unbalanced)

leadbreath said:
........holy shit.............u boys r building EMI limiters? this place is scary.........

It was only a matter of time, and it had to be done.
Whether we get them right or not, is another matter.

I think i found the problem, i use 8k2 for R105 instead 2k2 (attack sw), now it's sound just like yours mark! Happy..happy... ;D

Latest posts

Back