TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I got out of the datasheets:

LL1540 could be used as an Output (use only one primary / secondary winding)
LL1527 is not suitable

hope this is correct,
christoph

crisotop said:
what I got out of the datasheets:

LL1540 could be used as an Output (use only one primary / secondary winding)
LL1527 is not suitable

hope this is correct,
christoph

I'm afraid I got a bit confused.

According to the datasheets LL1540 is a Line Input Transformer and LL1517 (not LL1527) an Output Transformer  ???

As far as my knowledge goes there's no such thing as a dedicated in- or output transformer. What counts ins the turns ratio and the impedance of the windings. Depending on your version of the trafo / bypass board you roughly need a 10k/10k input- and a 600:600 output tranny. The 1540 if you only use one primary and one secondary winding would give you 600:800 which should be fine as an output trafo for the tg1.

hth, christoph

crisotop said:
As far as my knowledge goes there's no such thing as a dedicated in- or output transformer. What counts ins the turns ratio and the impedance of the windings. Depending on your version of the trafo / bypass board you roughly need a 10k/10k input- and a 600:600 output tranny. The 1540 if you only use one primary and one secondary winding would give you 600:800 which should be fine as an output trafo for the tg1.

hth, christoph

ok I see. Now makes more sense.. :)
I'll try this.

I assume the 1540 can't be used in 1:2 ratio as 150:600, is this correct?

thanks
mike

I'm going to post this here too because it seems folks are looking for a 1:2 output transformer.  I've been in contact with Colin over at Audio Maintenance.  He's going to have available a bracket mounted L01173 really soon from Carnhill.  It's going to have a smaller bobbin than the VTB9056 which is more in line with the original.  Good news!

does anyone have issues with R77 (56 Ohm) resistor?
I'm using a 1Watt one and still runs hot.

Also, I don't use C3, C4, C7, C121 because I don't have any spare ones at the moment.
Could this cause R77 getting hot?
FWIW, a JLM Audio PSU (AC/DC) supplying the circuit with +/-28 Volts.

thanks
mike

My unit is finally running as well, very happy with the sound, extremely versatile compressor.

Two questions though:

I have a slight volume drop when switching the transformers (1:1 variant, 10k:10k edcor input, 600:600 sowter output) in the circuit, but I haven't installed an Rz/Cz at the output trafo yet. As far as I know this is just to correct frequency response and should not affect overall level?

And just to confirm I got the attack and release controls right, I'd like to know how the auto settings behave on your already finished units.

Many Thanks,
Christoph 

Just jumping in to say I am starting to source parts for this build starting tomorrow.  Samples so far sound great!

oceres said:
I'm trying to figure out which relays are suitable for the bypass board...

Does it need to be a specific coil resistance`?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Relais-Takamisawa-RY24W-K-Relay-2x-UM-z-B-Audio-Signal-/310199115141?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Audio_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item48394edd85 is what I just ordered. Haven't put them in yet, but specs seem very good and so's the price. Shipping to Finland (that's where you are?) is 7,55€ unregistered ...

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
oceres said:
I'm trying to figure out which relays are suitable for the bypass board...

Does it need to be a specific coil resistance`?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Relais-Takamisawa-RY24W-K-Relay-2x-UM-z-B-Audio-Signal-/310199115141?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Audio_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item48394edd85 is what I just ordered. Haven't put them in yet, but specs seem very good and so's the price. Shipping to Finland (that's where you are?) is 7,55€ unregistered ...

Michael

Thanks!  :)
I came across RY24W-K too and found similar type from Mouser: Omron G5V-2-H1-DC24
either should work

Has anyone used these: http://uk.farnell.com/nec/ea2-24nu/relay-dpco-24vdc/dp/1094032?Ntt=1094032

that footprint looks wrong to me, I would expect to find 4 pairs of pins, the one for the coil slightly further away from the other pairs. like in the earlier ebay link.

briomusic said:
that footprint looks wrong to me, I would expect to find 4 pairs of pins, the one for the coil slightly further away from the other pairs. like in the earlier ebay link.

thanks  briomusic. didn't notice...

Back