TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
echotodd said:
Warpie,  Sorry man, I wish I could be more help!  Have you checked D15 and D14?  What are you reading at T_OP?

sure, no worries man  :)

I'm getting around 23V on D14,D15 and around 10.5V at T_OP.
I might be wrong but I think these voltages are OK...

...but yes, anyway, thanks again  :)

Rob Flinn said:
I now have both channels working & it sounds REALLY good, & punchy, which I hope will encourage some others to finish theirs.

I have some Gardeners Transformers I'm hoping to use on this so I have a proper British sound, but I only have one 10k:10k for the input (so if anyone has a spare MU7530 lying around).  

Andy thanks for that description of the hold function.   I couldn't work out why the meter wasn't bouncing about in this mode & was just stationary at , say -10dB.  It turns out I wasn't winding enough signal into it for it to bounce.

So how did you get on with the gardeners transformers?

Guys, where do I get documentation?  I have the PCBs from Ixxxxxxx, (aka Fester Addams), and I just ordered meters from Sintech.  :D  But in researching parts lists and documentation I realize I don't have any.  ::) :eek: 

I sent an email to Ixxxxx /aka Fester Addams via his Fester e address a couple weeks ago asking for docs, but no reply.  Is there someone here, (preferably on a Mac in case there are any format issues), who could send me the docs, please?

cheers.

tommypiper said:
Guys, where do I get documentation?  I have the PCBs from Ixxxxxxx, (aka Fester Addams), and I just ordered meters from Sintech.   :D  But in researching parts lists and documentation I realize I don't have any.   ::) :eek: 

I sent an email to Ixxxxx /aka Fester Addams via his Fester e address a couple weeks ago asking for docs, but no reply.  Is there someone here, (preferably on a Mac in case there are any format issues), who could send me the docs, please?

cheers.
it's posted on the pcb's thread
http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=325&pos=13

Thanks.  I'm getting up to speed.   8)

Anyone have Mouser/Digi part numbers for USA sources for the transistors?  Small ones -- but also large versions if you have them.  

Or whole BOM if you have one handy.  :)  But transisters will get me going.  Anyone use MPSA-18? 

tommypiper said:
but also large versions if you have them.

Get the large output transistors from electrochronic, and the OA202 diodes from him also while you're at it.  Definitely worth the small additional cost.

I guess I'll make this available for anybody who wants it.  It's a mouser cart with most of the resistors, caps, voltage regulators, and small signal transistors for a stereo TG1 build with "HOLD" control.  Not included are the output transistors, relays, switches, pots, smaller connectors, wire, LEDs, other miscellaneous hardware, etc.

Use at your own risk, and I make no claims about the completeness of this cart or the accuracy of the parts listed.  Looks like some of the parts I purchased are no longer available already, so you'll have to find subs.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=ed86c418ea

Thanks for the partial shopping cart list!  I'll go through it after I post.  It's the transistors and the relays I'm most concerned about.

wmtunate said:
tommypiper said:
but also large versions if you have them.

Get the large output transistors from electrochronic, and the OA202 diodes from him also while you're at it.  Definitely worth the small additional cost.

Yes, I'd love to, but he's running short on the output transistors and only including them with new board purchases.  He's got plenty of diodes, so I'll for sure get those.  

So I still need to source the large transistors.  What have you guys used?

Hi tommypiper,

I don't know if it's of any help but I found these.....

http://www.questcomp.com/QuestDetailsAll.aspx?pn=2N4898&pnid=125155&stock=Yes
http://www.questcomp.com/QuestDetailsAll.aspx?pn=2N4910&pnid=34528&stock=YesOnly

I haven't bought anything from there yet, as it gives me an option of $45.00 for shipping.
That's way too expensive. I'm located in UK but I think the rate is a flat fee for anywhere in the world.

If you decide to go with them and shipping is cheaper in US, would it be possible to get a couple more and ship them to me? I'll paypal you of course.

I can't believe they charge $45.00 for an envelope  ::)

thanks
Michael

warpie said:
Hi tommypiper,
If you decide to go with them and shipping is cheaper in US, would it be possible to get a couple more and ship them to me? I'll paypal you of course.

thanks
Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link. I ordered a pair of each for you.  I got cheap shipping in the US.  They should be here next week. I'll send you a PM after I get them, with cost of shipping to UK.  Maybe you can PM me your address in the meantime.

Anyone else in Europe who is interested, I *may* have a second pair available. I'll post here later.

For everyone else in the US or Canada, shipping is not that expensive so I suggest you place your own orders.

Electrochronic is offering these output transistors with purchases of new PCBs, so anyone who's buying new boards needn't worry about this.

I'll post here if I have an extra pair of these output transistors to sell later on.  Please don't PM me.  ;)

tommypiper said:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link. I ordered a pair of each for you.  I got cheap shipping in the US.  They should be here next week. I'll send you a PM after I get them, with cost of shipping to UK.  Maybe you can PM me your address in the meantime.

:) thanks tommypiper, that's good news!

michael

I ordered some Italian 24pos rotarys from electronique diffusion in France recently and noticed they've got both the diodes and transistors for TG in stock.

Hey,

I'm a bit of a noob, so some questions are bound to be silly, but oh well. I have two TG1 boards complete with a separate power supply board. I'm wondering about all those regulators and power supply caps/resistors on the bypass board.. Do I need to populate just the bypass board, just the power board or both? If only the power board, which things must I leave out on the bypass board?

Thanks,
B.

baadc0de said:
Hey,

I'm a bit of a noob, so some questions are bound to be silly, but oh well. I have two TG1 boards complete with a separate power supply board. I'm wondering about all those regulators and power supply caps/resistors on the bypass board.. Do I need to populate just the bypass board, just the power board or both? If only the power board, which things must I leave out on the bypass board?

Thanks,
B.

if your talking about the psu part of the bypass board then yes you need to populate it, if you are using the board.  It regulates the main psu down to levels to operate the relays & op amps on the bypass board

Rob Flinn said:
baadc0de said:
Hey,

Thanks,
B.

if your talking about the psu part of the bypass board then yes you need to populate it, if you are using the board.  It regulates the main psu down to levels to operate the relays & op amps on the bypass board

D'oh... makes perfect sense now! Thanks

Finally got mine finished today.  UTC H-13 trannys on the input, Nishaminy AF-672 on the outputs (UTC A-20 clones).  OPA134 opamps on the bypass boards, which meant dropping the local board voltage to +/-18V.  NOS output transistors and OA202 diodes from electrochronic.  The meters had to be disassembled to replace the scale.  I was going to repaint them black, but when I stripped off the old finish with steel wool and mineral spirits, I liked the look so much that I left them in that "worn" state.  The front panel is Rustoleum Dark Bronze Hammered finish that I had laser engraved.  Then I put a coat of car wax on it and buffed it to a shine.

tg1.jpg

tg2.jpg

tg3.jpg

Looks great, love the finish.  Are those 1 miliamp meters?  What kind of meters were they originally?  How are the ballistics behaving?

Is it my eyes, or do I only see one channel's worth of boards there?

tommypiper said:
Looks great, love the finish.  Are those 1 miliamp meters?  What kind of meters were they originally?  How are the ballistics behaving?

Is it my eyes, or do I only see one channel's worth of boards there?

that threw me too.

The boards are stacked on top of each other with 1" aluminum standoffs.

Those are 100uA meters and I used a pretty low value shunt resistor to get them to scale correctly.  I think they were Westons originally.  I'm not real happy with the ballistics, but I can at least see what my Hold control is doing.

sneaky!  the perspective shot makes the depth of the case a bit deceptive.  now that i look harder i can see your wire color coding.

Back