TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone has seen this ? Looks like a commercial ripoff of the Chandler unit to me.... Nearly the same features, Zener diode circuit etc...
Wade won't be happy about this, I'm sure ;)

Gem-Audio-Labs-Preceptor-A-front-hi-res.jpg

Hello everyone!
Couple days ago purchased TG-1 pcb's from Igor. Happy to start building process! :)
Began to discover project and faced with some difficulties.
At my level first difficulty is fiddly bom, so I've done my more comfortable version of TG-1 BOM. Check it out.

http://narod.ru/disk/65190058001.3daa3d449019eba236d8dd9f546f4a4d/TG-1%20EXEL%20BOM.xlsx.html

Another problem is that I did not find bom for power pcb! Have somebody some information about power BOM?!
I find some info on previews pages but nothing defined.

It same with Sontec(without ms) but some resistors different

Resistors

2 x 200R 1/4W MF 1% R2, R5
2 x 4K22 1/4W MF 1% R3, R4
1 x 10K 1/4W MF 1% R1        

Ceramic

4 x 0.1UF C3, C4. , C7. , C8. ,

Electrolytic Low Essr

4 x 100UF 50V pitch 3.5mm diam 8mm C5. , C6, C9, C10
2 x 3300UF 40-63V C1’, C11’

Diode

4 x 1N5004 D2, D4, D5, D7
4 x 1N4004 D1, D3, D6, D8

IC

1 x 317 IC1
1 x 337 IC2

Heatsink

2 x Heatsink TO-220

Connectors

2 x Molex 4Pin Header 3.96
2 x Molex Crimp 4P 3.96
8 x Solder Terminal

dirty1_1garry said:
Hello everyone!
Couple days ago purchased TG-1 pcb's from Igor. Happy to start building process! :)
Began to discover project and faced with some difficulties.
At my level first difficulty is fiddly bom, so I've done my more comfortable version of TG-1 BOM. Check it out.

http://narod.ru/disk/65190058001.3daa3d449019eba236d8dd9f546f4a4d/TG-1%20EXEL%20BOM.xlsx.html

Another problem is that I did not find bom for power pcb! Have somebody some information about power BOM?!
I find some info on previews pages but nothing defined.
Hey Guy,

You can find all information in the files from Igor. it's available on his website.
http://www.ij-audio.com/store/compressors/tg-1_pc/
Click on "Docs" and you will dowload a Rar files with all you need.

I think information about it's not write.
So D2 D4 D5 D7 it's 1n5400
and the four others 1N4004 or 1N4007 (Not sure for this, I can't remember but I can check ;) )In other cas, it's write somewhere in this topic.

Thank you guys for details!

drask said:
Hey Guy,
You can find all information in the files from Igor. it's available on his website.
http://www.ij-audio.com/store/compressors/tg-1_pc/
Click on "Docs" and you will dowload a Rar files with all you need.

Yes, could find all information in docs accept info about power pcb))
All other information possible to find only on this pages. And that great! :)

also, I think there's a mistake...

the R47 8K2 (8200 ohm), not 82K (82000 ohm). 8K2 It is used in Origial TG design.

good luck!
greg

Anyone have the self etch pcb docs for this? 
I can't find them, i'm sure there used to be some at one point.

mrclunk said:
Anyone have the self etch pcb docs for this? 
I can't find them, i'm sure there used to be some at one point.

I agree , I know who has them , but I don't think their fists are loosening. maybe I'll do a layout and make it public around here. Although , you might have a rough time etching a two layer from home.

Hi TG1 folks!    :) :) :)

After 6 months or so, I got my TG-1 completed.  The Right channel sounds great, though still has some minor calibration issues.  The left channel still needs troubleshooting. 

I had a question, Does anyone have the part numbers they used for the molex sockets and headers for this build? 
I always just solder wires directly to the board, but in this build it makes trouble shooting a drag.

thanks!!!
greg

all Farnell part numbers:

pcb connector: 1675500
header:            1675491
crimp pins:      1675488

unfortunately, there's a minimum order quantity of 50 pieces each.

electrochronic said:
I agree , I know who has them , but I don't think their fists are loosening. maybe I'll do a layout and make it public around here. Although , you might have a rough time etching a two layer from home.

Ah i didn't realise they were secret... Thought the links had just died. From what i've seen its not a particularly complex  2 layer layout, could probably just p2p one side.

Well if you do fancy doing a layout, fantastic. Can i help? My first two layouts have failed tho so....
I'd rather put the money from purchasing the pcb's into (£300!!) pcb engraving software for my cnc.

WOW  ;D  does this thing sound amazing!!  I got my second channel working finally and ran some stereo tracks through...  MR. TG-limiter really knows what to do with transients.  I have no transformers installed, and am using the vintage semiconductors from Electrochronic.

My hold controls are too sensitive so I'm going to try the 5k log pot connected in series with a 5k resistor as suggested.

One issue, On my unit, when the switch is set to THD the unit distorts like crazy and is super loud.  Is that right, I doubt it?  I thought the THD deactivates the side-chain and I thought THD was supposed to be more of a bypass and not a distortion...  I might have something messed up in the THD or hold department. 

But even as is, I'm very happy with the results, thank you to everyone responsible for getting this project off the ground!!!!

:) :) :)

Greg

muffy1975 said:
Team,

does anyone know what range the bc184c and 214 c should be for this project. What have people been using?

muffy1975 said:
Team,

BC184C HFE range

I have searched using

TG-1 BC184C HFE

I can find no answers to what the recommended figure for the BC184C HFE should be?

Is 440 HFE too low?

Should they all be in the 600HFE range?

Thanks for any help

Michael

I'm quite curious too if anyone knows...

bieckmusic said:
also, I think there's a mistake...

the R47 8K2 (8200 ohm), not 82K (82000 ohm). 8K2 It is used in Origial TG design.

Hey Greg - I don't have any other schem than the Fester version which lists R47 as 82K with a "/"  Did you go with an 8k2 here?  Anyone else care to comment?

I'm psyched to try to complete this after 1+ years...

Thanks!

Josh

Hi yes there's the original schematic which says R47 8k2.  I believe it's in the folder with all the project documents that you can access off igor's website.  The file name is Recipe_-_sharpened-fixed.

Good luck, it's definitely worth the effort!

hmm. On Igor's new schematic, for the 500 series version, he actually has a 100k in there. Any reports from builds using the 8.2k there?

Interesting, my unit seemingly works great with the 8.2k???

Electrochronic pointed out to me a good hint...  Use sockets for the A.O.T's to easily swap out resistors.  I made a pcb with trimmers on it and hooked it up to the aots... 

Greg

wow. Thats a pretty big disparity. Looks like Igor went up from an 82k to 100k. Definitely see the 8.2k
Out of curiosity, did anybody use 1mA meters? I am having a hard time finding a 2.4mA meter, especially for the 500 series size. Andy isn't doing another run as far as i know, and his meter is too big for my faceplate. If you used the 1mA, how is it tracking?
Ian

imo said:
Out of curiosity, did anybody use 1mA meters? I am having a hard time finding a 2.4mA meter, especially for the 500 series size. Andy isn't doing another run as far as i know, and his meter is too big for my faceplate. If you used the 1mA, how is it tracking?
Ian

Igor once sent me a mail concering this topic:

"I read that a 2.4mA meter is required but is there any chanche of using an easy availably 1mA sifam meter?

Yep, easy. Just an adjustable shunt - take about 22r resistor connected in series with 200r multiturn trimpot;
than connect them in parallel to your meter.

Feed some voltage thru appropriate variable resistor (for 5V, the 2.4mA current will be at 2.083 Kohm);
monitor the current with milliampermeter (Fluke at 20mA range) and adjust the shunt for FSD (full scale deflection, 100%)
when the current is exactly 2.4 mA. For this purpose, 2k083 resistor (may bit vary due to total resistance of shunt and meter)
done from 1k5 resistor and 2k potentiometer, connected in-series.
Adjust 2.4 ma - adjust FSD - readjust 2.4ma - readjust FSD - done."

wv4vu8.jpg

Back