TG1 - advice from any one who has built it...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencerleehorton said:
Isn't it time for someone to make some more then?
I only have the facility to make single sided boards, is there any printouts or anything layout wise?

Regards

Spence.

Pm me spence.

Well, I've spent the last few days going over Igor's TG build trying to make sense of how he has everything laid out, etc. I'm assuming that originally, one just drove input into the unit and there was no input pot. I'd like it more like the original so....that's fine (I wouldn't mind having some kind of 'boost' switch that makes it more chandler-ish...but I suppose that's besides the point at the moment. Sourcing the 20uf radial caps seems difficult. Gotta figure out how to match HS2051's. There's a lot of attack/release settings on the unit...and the times aren't listed in the documentation. I know the original was meant to mimic the Fairchild. Hmm...regardless, I'd like to have them on the front panel cause it's nice to know the setting one's on. Panel is nearly done apart from the timings:

Looks good so far I think! Quite a bit of work actually getting everything lined up, etc. Wonder if it'll ever see the light of day? :)

Still need to get the nice Elna switches and something good for the hold control. The 'hold fix' seems simple enough. I have one power supply board for it and I'm pretty sure it'll handle two channels. I think I remember asking Igor at the time. One thing I haven't figured out is why the arrows point different directions on the two power supply clips? Not using the options board, so that cuts down on some costs and time. It's a sort of puzzle figuring this one out, but it is fun!

Looks good Desol. I sourced 20uf caps on eBay. If you look back in this thread, or in the build docs, there is a jig described to match the hs2051's or equivalents.
This thing sounds sweet.

Nice. Thanks Duantro. I did find some 20uf caps on ebay...but they seem to be mostly only available in larger axial packages.

I like matching parts to the board print, lead spacings, etc...if I can. I've wondered at time why Igor chose radials in this spot instead of axial's, which most of the 20uf's seem to be.  Glad you're happy with yours!

desol said:
Nice. Thanks Duantro. I did find some 20uf caps on ebay...but they seem to be mostly only available in larger axial packages.

I like matching parts to the board print, lead spacings, etc...if I can. I've wondered at time why Igor chose radials in this spot instead of axial's, which most of the 20uf's seem to be.  Glad you're happy with yours!
That  sounds like the 20uf's that I found. They are pretty big. Yeah, it is interesting that it was designed this way.

In case your after boards and meters , I'm still working on this project , the main signal board and power supply gerbers are done. Don't ask me for gerbers, I wont give them out. Still have the front panel switch board gerbers to complete. Should'nt take long , but I been saying this for the past two years. It took almost this long to get the meters since Sifam was under corporate re-structuring. The Sifam meters are in stock now at my web page, just working on the pcb boards. I am also working on some more affordable meters for those on a tighter DIY budget. All pictured at my web page link.

Rob Flinn said:
Why don't you guys use 22uF caps.  They are well within tolerance and easy to get.  Electrolytic caps have poor tolerance.

Hey Rob. I don't enough about design and didn't want to assume whether it would or wouldn't affect anything circuit wise. I figured Igor would know details like that and so chose to specify that exact value. If it in fact doesn't change anything, then that solves the problem....cause they are basically impossible to find.

Yes, Rob is correct in saying a 22uf cap would sub in for a 20uf . In fact , most of these caps have up to a 20% tolerance from rated /stated capacitance , just measure a few and you will see first hand. You could probably get away with using a 33uf in there if you did'nt have 22uf in your stash.

Tip

Incidentally , a error exists at C108 & C110 on the hpf 2x6 rotary switch board , it's reversed . C108 should be 22nf and C110 should be 33nf . Maybe this is already a known issue , not sure.  credit to B2k

Also, quite a few problems with builders having signal problems using 1n751 diodes in the Zener bridge. Best to go with a 1-2% tolerance 5.1v Zener in this location.  The BOM suggests the use of  1n751 diodes but It depends on the manufacturer and date code.  Vishay or Fairchild seem to be good choices, if you can't source the elusive HS2051's

You MUST hand select the diodes.  Buy 100 and test them all.  You can find 4 pairs that are that are REALLY close.
My $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

hey guys,
im just populating my boards. i really like to use original coupling caps. but those 4.7uf tfm wimas are impossible to find. is this a value that one could vary? i can get 3.3uf or 6.8uf....wouldone of these do as a replacement for the 4.7uf caps? cheers

i used these
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-electronic-components/ecqe2475jf/cap-film-pet-4-7uf-250v-rad/dp/1744798

mrclunk said:
i used these
http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-electronic-components/ecqe2475jf/cap-film-pet-4-7uf-250v-rad/dp/1744798

thanks mate. i really want to stick to the wima tfm though. i have some sort of capacitor fetish :) if anyone knows if 3.3uf or 6.8uf will do please let me know. otherwise i can get 2.2uf and will run two of them in parallel

Not 100% but isn't that just an output coupling cap? Don't have the schematic but larger should be fine.

mrclunk said:
Not 100% but isn't that just an output coupling cap? Don't have the schematic but larger should be fine.

thats what i was thinking - but im really  too dumb to tell :) yes its a coupling cap. on the input though.....

ps: i did find some 3.3uf and 1.5uf which should add up nicely. now im  struggeling to understand the bypass pcb. maybe im missing some information? i cant seem to find out how to actually trigger the relais. is there any wiring diagram for how to implement the "iron,byp,clean" switch? thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back