The official GroupDIY 511 Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did something similar.
Sahib suggested to tie the common from both PSU and the earth coming from the 51x Rack all to the same point.

Running fine, no hum.

READY!!! now lets fill  8)

1404825ea8505c2fdee8eb9a4098dcf4.JPG

Nce!

Now go get addicted to 500. These small b*tchs can get expensive really quick :)

But ooooohhhh so cool!

sahib said:
The space available behind the 7 pin has always been a bit tight. You can get round it by using thinner gauge wire. It won't make much of a difference in that length.

Chunger seems to have used spacer to bring the connector forward a bit.
I'm just about to do the 7 pin connector. Don't have any cables here right now. Only option is leftovers from EA2503 transformers. Really thin... Too thin?..

I'd say too thin.
20-22AWG for 1A ish. That's 6-7 modules (API spec).

Again, depends on the manufacturer of cable but

jplebre said:
I'd say too thin.
20-22AWG for 1A ish. That's 6-7 modules (API spec).

Again, depends on the manufacturer of cable but
Thx! Thought so.. Found a few leftovers from the transformer in the bin. Will have to do!  :)

Hi Paul,

best to use the same you're running from the psu to your rack.Volker and Jeff use a 7 core with each conductor at 0,75 square mm ( roughly 18AWG).That's on the safe side.If you don't have it leftover just look at some old household stuff in the garbage or old computers,lots of fitting mains and psu cables to find there-and it's for free :)

Best,

Udo.

Addendum:
About the tight fit/little space behind the xlr connector.I always use a high temperature at short time when tinning the leads,this way the solder doesn't go too deep inside the wire and makes it
too rigid (hope that's the right word?).I then bend the leads over so they run in parallel to gain some space behind the xlr.Have never used spacers in any of my racks.

kante1603 said:
Hi Paul,

best to use the same you're running from the psu to your rack.Volker and Jeff use a 7 core with each conductor at 0,75 square mm ( roughly 18AWG).That's on the safe side.If you don't have it leftover just look at some old household stuff in the garbage or old computers,lots of fitting mains and psu cables to find there-and it's for free :)

Best,

Udo.

Addendum:
About the tight fit/little space behind the xlr connector.I always use a high temperature at short time when tinning the leads,this way the solder doesn't go too deep inside the wire and makes it
too rigid (hope that's the right word?).I then bend the leads over so they run in parallel to gain some space behind the xlr.Have never used spacers in any of my racks.
Thx Udo! Mind reading, because that's exactly what I did eventually. Cut a bit of the PSU cable. Also managed to bend the leads behind the 7 pin connector just as you described. No problem with the space and no need for spacers. A bit odd though... that every little detail is included in the kit, but not these cables (yes, the grey PSU cable of course...) and no screws/nuts to fasten the chassi mount 7 pin connector...
edit: just want to make clear that i'm not complaining - these kits are superb!! almost better than ikea! :D

Hi,
just finished my fourth 511 rack build and noticed that (in this particular unit & on one side only) 4 of the module mounting holes are too narrow for any of the screws (holes where the modules will eventually attach to). Just cant get any screw into those 4, no matter how much force I use. Since all the holes with that problem are right adjacent to each other I'm guessing that the process of tapping the holes was somehow skipped for that particular section during manufacturing.
Does anyone have any idea what I could try? As mentioned above I've tried to tap the holes with some of the provided screws by using force but to no avail. The screw will just wear out immediately without any effect on the chassis.
Are there any special 'tapping screws' availabe? Should I re-drill? (sorry i'm a complete noob when it comes to metal work...)
No dirty jokes please  ::) 8)
thanks!

Hey guys

Does anyone has any plans, or anyone knows of someone that has already designed something similar to this:
I'm loooking for a 51x module that basically will source the 24v rails and feed them onto the 16v (at the correct voltages, of course!)

The idea is that I've run out of 16v juice and am barely using the 24v. I could split the power lead (I have 2 7pin xlr on my PSU) and feed only 16v to one rack and 24 to the other. This module would then ensure there's a +-16v on the 24v rack.

Hope I'm explaining myself well enough. Anyone has any ideas?
I wanted to see if anyone had tried this before I try and reinvent the wheel :)

J

Hey, is there a schematic available for this ?
I wanna make sure if I can use the pcb with my 2x20VAC transformer ...
To do this, I'd need something a la the JLM Kraftwork.

Latest posts

Back