wow I never thought they would bring this back

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this has been a innovative product that time,
today (and with the crystal core / relationship to the todays fairlight company owners) it is nonsense.
what do you expect from a company already went insolvent at least 2 times?
to my knowledge the new crystal core products don't sell enough.
good idea to try this for marketing.

Yes,

It does seem bizarre,

...and the fact it's in effect emulating a Fairlight through more modern hardware/software, let's hope it's not just a big hardware "plug in"!

The originals sound so crunchy!!

...the sound was all in those 74LSxx IC's...

;)

(don't forget the Fairlight CVI as well...)

Mark

Ha!

...love that bit where his oppo forgets to hit a key to enter the sample!

Classic stuff.

You don't get that on "In The Night Garden"

:(

Mark

HI,

I remember assisting on a Hollywood movie soundtrack recorded in London in 1989. The composer wanted a Fairlight on his spec sheet. We scoffed, being Akai s900/950/1000 users at the time. i remember being absolutely blown away on the spot by the "ancient" technology. In effect, it was less than 10 years old at the time. The sounds were absolutely astounding, and the hands-on manipulation capability made me green with envy. He truly played it like an instrument, something `i have yet to experience since, especially now everything is so personal computer dependant.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

I was always intrigued by Fairlights. A couple of years ago I stepped into a studio that had one, and it was an absolutely amazing experience to touch it and play it. I think it's a true original, much like a Moog. Of course there are keyboards out there that can do a lot more...on paper. But the Fairlight is a musical instrument with a very recognizable sound signature. A true classic.

I think it's too early to say anything about the modern recreation. Let's wait and see.

sodderboy said:
I see that it is a pre=production mock-up.  The real one will be running on a silly PC running Vista!
Ha-Ha!
Mike

yeah I saw that too. I was hoping for a remake that was essentially like the original including monochrome screen.

For it's time the Series II was good, but was quickly superceded by other stuff. If you want the II sound, convert all your samples to 8 bit.....

I had the II for a year or so, but dumped it as soon as the Roland S550 sampler came out.

The series III was the real deal, sounded really nice Again it was held back by closed technology, so maybe this latest PC based version will be a bit more versatile.

Pretty pricey hardware.

Sad story - I was doing some work in Dave Stewart's studio ( The Church ) in North London
during the '90's and there was a Fairlight on it's end and used as an ash tray !!!
I guess someone got pissed off with it and found another use  ::)

MM.

Sold my Fairlight series IIx and my Synclavier II in the same week for next to nothing as I got sick of repairing them. I really miss them now.

Latest posts

Back