Location Recording - Your choice of software/hardware

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Software/Hardware are you using for location recording

• Protools + Digidesign Hardware

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Protools + M-Audio Hardware

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Logic/Cubase/Cakewalk + External Soundcard

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Logic/Cubase/Cakewalk + Internal Soundcard

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Dedicated recorder hardware - analog inputs only

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Dedicated recorder hardware - analog or S/PDIF input capable

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
I use M Powered with an M Audio lightbridge and then to an Apogee Rosetta 800. For me it means I can use protools, but my AD DA is the Apogee. The lightbridge merely acts as the "dongle" to allow the M Powered to work. To me its the perfect approach, - well at least for my needs and others may experience differently.

Software is such a personal thing. You use what works for you and makes you feel comfortable using it - bottom line. This is especially true if you are location recording. "On location" usually means an environment where you dont have heaps of time to mess around so it's prudent to use software which feels the most comfortable and organic for you to use without acting as an impediment to what you are trying to do.  Do you have time to learn different functions or clunk around with a system that isn't as intituative as what you are used to - even if it is considered "better" by recording folk?

This is where I feel the whole debate over protools v logic v cubase v whatever becomes so pathetic. Its not about which software offers the best features or sound necessarily, it's so much about what program allows you to do your stuff your way.  I liken it to this - a marshall guitar stack is not necessarily better than a fender twin reverb. One amp suits a particular guitar player's style whilst the other suits a guitar player with a very different style altogether. The choice of one will allow the player to do his sound without getting in the way of his  style of playing. Dito for your recording software I would think when you are on the road. Use the platform which works best for your workflow/recording techniques and needs.

For me Pt 8 is the bus I feel most comfortable travelling on, whether its becuase I first learnt on it or otherwise. It affords me the opportunity to not think about commands and just focus on my recording.

Tungstengruvsten said:
hd24xr here too - Once you've done the washer trick to the caddies they are rock-solid!

Do tell! What is "the washer trick?"  I wonder if it works for the ol' SDR24/96? 

My external worked for a while, then wouldn't boot up--just displayed "Init SDR Halt"--with an external drive inserted. I replaced the dock with a new Lian-Li (HR-40 IIRC) and again, it worked for a while, then did the same thing.  I ended up just saying "screw it" and pulled out the 30GB internal drive and installed a terabyte in its place.  I can record like forever, but pulling WAV files over the USB 1.0 port on that thing is excruciatingly slow.  I have a second Lian-Li dock in my workstation--I'd love to be able to transfer in SDR sessions that way as I intended.

Those Mackie SDRs were a real sleeper.  They didn't have sll the expansion options of their HDR big bro, but front-end one with some Focusrite pres with Lightpipe out and it dependably makes some really nice recordings.  The HDRs were limited in disk capacity too--the SDR can go up to 2TB per drive!  (It just takes a while for it to boot up and figure out the free space.  :) )

deuce42 said:
I use M Powered with an M Audio lightbridge and then to an Apogee Rosetta 800.

That sounds like a fantastic setup. Do you get any hiccups with that lightbridge? What firewire interface are you using, motherboard or card, what models? Sorry for all the questions but I've had so-so luck with firewire and I am looking for a rock solid alternative to PCI now that everything is gone that route.

stickjam said:
Do tell! What is "the washer trick?"  I wonder if it works for the ol' SDR24/96? 

Check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alesis_ADAT_HD24

...there is actually a pic even on the wiki!  Basically you put a couple washers behind the caddy connectors so they seat more securely in the chassis...that's it!

Abby,

I have lightbridge and SSL Alphalink. Works a treat for me, both in PT and Core audio. I use Logic more, but had no problems on the two occasions I was in PT 7 and 8. I did have a driver issue when I unwittingly upgraded from 10.4.8 to 10.40.11, but now sorted in 10.5.8. Haven't moved  to Snow Leopard yet.

Limited to only 12 channels at 96kHz, but 24 at 48kHz. v happy

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
Limited to only 12 channels at 96kHz, but 24 at 48kHz. v happy

14 with the SPDIF ins, innit?

I have a lightbridge as well. PT7.4, OS10.4.11 (yes, still). RME ADI and Beh ADA converters. Pretty solid for about a year now. Also had some driver issues early on, must have latest updates from MAudio installed.

The clocking was an issue early on. Letting the lightbridge be master for time being. Wondering if its clock sucks terribly much. No clock specs published, bad sign.

Looking at a Mini-me as an upgrade, but it has no wordclock out and the lightbridge has proved dodgy syncing to clock over SPDIF. The Mytek ADC96 has fewer features, but perhaps just the right ones.

Back