Anyone know what drivers these monitors use? - PICTURES NOW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

I have a pair of Audix A1 studio monitors that I want to replace the tweeters in.

The 6 1/2" drivers are Vifa P17WJ-00-08

The 1" tweeters just say T656 and have a date of April 29/96

I know they use different tweeters in the A1s now, and I am curious as to which they are.

Audix gets $45 each for them, and I am sure I could cut that in half if I could just identify the part.

Thanks!
Shane

Here are some pictures of the tweeters being used.

Vifa has a couple of tweeters that seem to be commonly used with the LF drivers used here. Perhaps one of those would do nicely.

Is there a chance of a mismatch between the tweeters and the crossovers? I wish I knew what part they were using now.

http://www.pbase.com/sbushman/image/36979354/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/sbushman/image/36979356.jpg

Thanks,
Shane

Perhaps somebody else using these boxes could pop the tweeter out and see if there are any more identifying marks on them. Mine are older, so maybe I just got a pair with no stickers on them. The Vifa drivers are clearly labeled.

Shane

The publicity says these things are shielded.

Are those woofers you quoted sheilded ?
It would make sense for the tweeter to be sheilded as well.
I'm not convinced that tweeter is a Vifa.

They are available as shielded and non shielded. Mine are the non shielded type.

Interestingly, there are some minor differences in the data sheet between the shielded and non shielded versions so I assume the sound is slightly different as well.

I don;t necessarily think the tweeter needs to be shielded does it? The woofer is where most of the magnetic interferebce comes from.

Shane

I think it does
there is enough magnetic field from a tweeter to make it worth it.

this does effect the specs of the drivers and therefore the speaker design.

Just because a driver looks like a Vifa doesn't mean it is or that it is going to be a catalog driver from Vifa. More likely a special run with a specified twist.

They could be a special run by the manufacturer for Audix. I had the same problem trying to outsource a new tweeter for a Genelec 1031. Apparently they were the same as a standard production type(Vifa, I think) but oem'd specifically for them and as such were not available elsewhere. As far as shielding goes, they do shield tweeters. In this case, it was through the use of a humbucking magnet attached to the back of the unit(which was the special 'Genelec only' bit). You could probably get away with an off the shelf unit with similar specs from the same manufacturer as the original.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Zach

You might try getting in touch with Madisound and see if they can recognize the tweeter. It could very well be something they carry. Also try Zalytron One of them might know what it is.

Good luck.

:thumb:

Well, I tried both of those and can't find it. I pleaded with Audix to give me the original part number, but my hopes are low.

I was able to find out that it is the same tweeter tha is in the Studio 3a series as well. he part number is twtstudio or twtd on 2 web sites that carruy the audix supplied repacement.

Maybe Audix makes the tweeters themselves...?

What does someone who knows about speaker building think about me replacing the tweeters with Vifas? Is the crossover designed for just one tweeter and that's it?

Shane

you could try the Vifa d25ag metal dome tweeter from vifa. It is an excellent match for that woofer and there are numerous crossover designs for that pair
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/
You`ll find a project for a 2 way speaker system that uses both these drivers and sounds great .The rest of the site has some interesting reading as well

You might ask this question on Thomas Barefoot's section of John Sayer's acoustics forum.

Here's the link:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

HTH,

Thanks for the links guys. Madisound, and another supplier both got back to me today regarding the tweeters. They both say that they can get them for me, but only from Audix. I am starting to think that this is an Audix made part.

I found a dealer with the Audix part in stock for onlt $35.00 each , so that is a bit of a savings from Audix's price ($45 each). If I can't turn up a better match I will just bite the mite and order that one.

Many thanks for all the help guys! Please keep be posted if anyone thinks of anything else.

Shane

Latest posts

Back