EQN build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, have you ever heard of Rupert Neve?

If you haven't ... oh dear ... here is the mess Webley, you know what to do.

That's okay, I should rather be ashamed of myself for not recognizing the magic behind this clone :D

Actually, I'm quite big on eqs but have never found an opportunity to get a hold of neves / try em out.

For the past weeks, the thing that has haunted me the most, ever since I got to work with e series ss eqs at a studio, are the x-rack e-series ssl classic eqs in black and brown.

I was hoping for a clone miming the e / g series ssl eq since this beauty is a king in any application, no matter whether it is kick, snare, guitar, vocals or strings.

What is the neve 1073's main application?

Okay, I just built a new pair and I'm having a strange issue with them.

I'm getting +/-14 some volts to the DC-DC converter fine, but i'm only getting 5v out the other side. I've tried swapping them to no avail. Could it be an issue with Q1? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks!

EDIT: got it. Bad inductors again. You'd think I would have learned my lesson the first time. The slow start circuit wasn't opening all the way. (still isn't for that matter, but the eq seems to be running fine at about 20v)

peter purpose said:
Always glad to help Marc. 8)
500 series single space sta-level.

If you're serious put me down for two :)
I saw that 500 tube pre you did, and I wouldn't put it past you. Crazy thought though.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of these transistors? The coincidence is too weird that more than one and possibly three people have experienced a problem with them. dmp - what's the verdict?

Confirmed - I had the same thing. Moving the amp boards from on EQN to the other I saw the level of the sputtering noise follow particular amp boards. I replaced the transistors on two amp boards and now my pair of EQNs are both quiet with absolutely no sputtering. The transistors I replaced had 'BK47' on them. I replaced them with code 'BB30'.

Okay, here's a whole new ridiculous problem I can't figure out :)

The two modules I just built both work perfectly on the bench. However in my rack or console the signal is EXTREMELY quiet. It's not distorted, and the EQ appears to be working perfectly, but they're like 20db down. Any thoughts?

thanks as always

Marcocet said:
Okay, here's a whole new ridiculous problem I can't figure out :)

The two modules I just built both work perfectly on the bench. However in my rack or console the signal is EXTREMELY quiet. It's not distorted, and the EQ appears to be working perfectly, but they're like 20db down. Any thoughts?

thanks as always

Play with RV4 :) I had the same question :)

Well it's not RV4. I had calibrated it to the input at home and it was fine, but I tried turning it all the way in either direction and the problem is still the same. Then I tried backing off RV5 but nothing happened there either.

peter purpose said:
Have you tried these in a working slot on the desk?

pth:)

yes, tried them everywhere. They work fine with my bench supply, but zilch from my console or rack. I measured the racks voltage as 15.65, and I'm working with more like 14 at home, so I'll crank it up a bit and see if that changes anything.

Nope, voltages were fine at home. Any other thoughts? What's really throwing me is the fact that BOTH of them aren't working in either the console OR the rack. There are other EQNs in both that are working fine.

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Marcocet said:
Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

You're doing something wrong!

So they were both working in the rack, but having been put in the desk and retested in the rack... neither work at all?
Tis a conundrum for sure.

As has been said many times before, I'm no trouble shooter.
Have you used any parts in these new ones that you didn't in the working ones?
What voltage is the dc-dc converter putting out now?

I'm flummoxed.

Latest posts

Back