Good Cheap Mixer For Test Rig?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tubejay

What are you guys using in your test rigs for mixers for testing?  Am I the only one that has one sitting on my DIY desk?

Right now I have a super cheap Behringer mixer, and for the second time I found myself trouble shooting a noise that ended up being a conflict between the mixer and the gear I was testing.  I don't know if it's an impedance thing or what, but I've had more trouble with this thing than it's worth.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap mixer that I can use in my test rig, where I won't have to worry about as many of these stupid issues caused by my cheap mixer.  I'm thinking of getting a Mackie 1202 vlz pro for $100 or so on eBay for the test rig.  Anyone have trouble with those, or have a better suggestion? 

I just can't have this mixer causing me to go on 2 hour fishing expeditions only to find out it was the cheap ass mixer.

Oh and for the record, these issues I'm having are with standard pro gear.  I had a really bad noise issue with a Lexicon M300 that ended up being a conflict with the mixer, and other pro gear.  I was able to test it with other equipment and found that the problem only existed when it was hooked up to the Behringer mixer.

I got a pos samson  that I use. I mainly have it as a volume control but it has come in handy for testing mics and random outboard gear... used to use an mbox but that got sold...

I got the 'lil Beh xenyxx 502.

Haven't had any noise issues, but haven't had much random gear across my desk lately.

Can you provide details of the type of noise (hum/buzz/switching hash)?

A dead simple battery powered headphone amp comes in handy when you want to eliminate your monitoring apparatus as the source of an interconnection issue.

I do not use a mixer in the home bench rig.  I have a patchbay built around a Coleman passive source switch/volume into an amp.  I have patchable iron, mults, 2:1 passive mix, etc.  I find myself in a studio every other day so I do an ultimate final test in a room.
I do have a Tangent mixer in the garage that is slated for basic refurb into the test rig, but I have to be careful- if I turn the bench into a de-facto control room, I risk an expensive divorce!
Mike

Latest posts

Back