[silent:arts] & classicapi developing a new “Plug-In” HiZ DI format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dearest Mr. Arts:

I have a question about the [silent:arts] passive hi-z plugin format.

Would it be acceptable to design a mic preamp card to use these plug-in formats (backwards) as input transformers?  The reason I ask is that I have built several on proto-board that use mic-input transformers from various sources backwards as a DI, as you have done with the pikatron, and it occured to me that if I could buy a PCB that used the HiZ plugin format as an input transformer, and put some low profile mill max connectors in there, then I could try out all these different transformers easily. 

Of course I understand that the V++ pin would have to be grounded, so nobody tried an active one backwards.... but I think it is a useful format to have a "generic" mic input format.

Instead of always dealing with OEP/Lundahl/Edcor ... oops it doesn't have.. (fill in whatever you have here).., if I had the hi-z plugin format in there, I could build adapter cards simply.

In the 51x format there are height issues, but with the mill sockets back mounted it works ok (I have tried it).

Do you have any thoughts on this use?  Are there issues I have not considered (zobel networks, etc).

bb

Latest posts

Back