You can't teach an old dog "Neutriks"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Burnley

Okay,

Just got hold of some of these Neutrik convertCONs

Here's a pic-

210_1308540239.jpg

Looks great on paper- an XLR that can be unisex- i.e. convert from male to female and back again.

However- we've had problems when you try and mate a female convertCON end to a male panel socket- the shoulder of the socket isn't long enough to allow it to fully enter the male chassis plug, and so the latch won't latch- rendering it useless in mating to equipment or patch panels! In the standard (modern or old-design female XLR) there is a rubber gasket which allows you to push the inline socket further into the male receptacle, which then allows the latch to "click".

Works fine as an inline though, but not sure of it's durability in studio/stage apps. I'm only going to use them as "bodgits" in my tool box for temporary use.

Anyone had this experience? It's a shame really, as most Neutrik products are well though out.

Mark

Connectius interruptus?  I did not have that problem.  But I bought two to try in my toolkit thinking the same, and one of them is heavier than a heterosexual pair!
Relegated to my bench rack.
But the Crystalcons. . . . .  Ich LOVE them!
normal_Crystalcon_TR.JPG

I laughed when someone posted them here first, but I showed them to clients as a joke and they wanted them.  The Crystalcon shell on the shorting TS body, lavender boot on red GS-6- mmmmmmmmmliscious!
Mike

Neutriks don't always mate with some mics very well either.  I was shown this by a studio owner friend who has converted all his mic leads to switchcraft female xlrs because of it.

He showed me the problem with an old fet U47.  The Neutrik plug is kind of a tight fit, & it's difficult to get the latch to click in, whereas the Switchcraft is always ok. Since the place in question is commercial studio where the client is paying they don't want dick around with this sort of thing.

When he showed me this I can remember having this happen myself, but never connected (scuse the pun) it to a problem with the Neutriks.

SSLtech said:
Get the kettle on.

Aye...it's on the Variac for the slow boil...

8)

...those Bling-trik connectors are hilarious...I thought it was April 1st when I got the promo mail off them!

Best product by Neutrik is the red plastic boot for the back of Powercons!!

Mark

Some mics have a rubber ring inside the male connector
which is enough to stop the neutrik , [ or have to really man handle
an expensive mic ] taking the rubber ring off of the connector itself
can help , easier to assemble but maybe there'll be a run on nos switchcraft
[ or do they have the same design still ?]

i modify the cables... mic cables all get switchcraft

seen too many mics get their asses pulled right out with
neutrik...to tight a fit 
that was a high use/low maintanance situation,
only a few in pro applications, but too many over all.

besides, switchcraft doesn't melt when interns solder them.

j

Hi Rob, i had an issue like this with neutrik and a TLM103, the neutrik was hard to get to click in, the problem was the the rubber ring inside the mic XLR plug was just twisted, don't ask me why, i don't have a U47, but maybe there was a issue like mine  ???. Neutrik is still a great brand, with lots of evolution.

Oh this one was told by okgb, anyway it happened to me.

Latest posts

Back