The physics of the shotgun mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I'm trying to put together a video podcasting setup, which will involve my Kodak Zi8, which has an unbalanced stereo minijack audio input (which works pretty well, actually, but there's always my Zoom H4 if I need something better). I've been hunting around for a shotgun mic that can plug right in, but it seems that nobody makes one, and the cheapest new ones are out of my price range.

So, I thought I'd see if I could figure out the physics of the things with the idea of building something using one of these cardioid electret capsules I have hanging around (Panasonic). I honestly don't know if this would be possible or not, but at this point, anything would have to be better than nothing. So if anyone knows anything or has a good link or two (I couldn't get a Google search to turn up much), I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Found this on the DIY Audio forum:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/133358-how-does-one-build-shotgun-microphone.html

There are some nice links and good info in there. One promising idea, and one I had thought about already, is using two capsules set coaxially and a certain distance apart and 180 degrees out of phase. A company somewhere also did something like this with three capsules.

Back