HELP PLEASE - LARGE DIAPHRAGM DYNAMIC CAPSULE NEEDED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheu78

Hi Everybody! I'm new here..but I need some help, please...

I'm looking for a large diaphragm DYNAMIC capsule for a DIY project that I want to do..

I would like to find a EUROPEAN company (or artisan) that builds this kind of capsules in EUROPE (or an american one that build them in the US) , but seems almost impossible..

:(

the price is not an object at the moment...

(I tried to contact MBHO in Germany, but it seems that they don't do DYNAMIC capsules...only condensers, despite they have a couple of dynamics in their line).

I'd like to avoid chinese capsules.. (I'd like to avoid the problems dealing with something/somebody that is so far and out of my control..)

Do you have any contact or suggestions?

Please help me... Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Cheu

Thanks Gyraf! I'll try but I doubt that they will be willing to mod any capsules..
It doesn't exist an artisan or a small company who do this kind of work?

Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
Cheu

P.S.: thx Neeno for the bump! :)

Hi Cheu, what is the DIY project your aiming to do ?,Is it a one off ,If price no object you can just buy a mic from thomann and sacrifice it.......A few years ago I bought a good casule from audio technica at very good price....& more recently i bought a audix OM6 capsule to fit to a broken old audix mic (tip OM capsules dont need a transformer & sound good) I think I paid about 60 pounds for OM6...

In case you only need a single capsule, you could buy an old mic like an AKG D507/D505, Telefunken TD300 (same capsule as the AKG, but with shitty plastic body), Sennheiser MD42. These have large dynamic capsules. With a bit of luck you can get the TD300 very cheap on Ebay.

Good luck with your project !

You do understand that you have to show your results here, right ?!?

Thank you all for your entries! Really appreciated!
I'd like to avoid chinese manufacture, and I'd like to be able to speak with the company/artisan who build the capsule in order to make some mods if necessary..so thomann and other brands on ebay are not a choice unfortunately.. maybe some old capsules could be bought as a starting/inspiration point..but I need a new one..  :)
and last but not least..if everything looks fine...it could be commercialized..  ;D (not in big numbers though..)
but at this stage is a DIY project...
I'm just looking around for a company/artisan who could build a dynamic element...seems very hard though.. everything is manufactured in china..

Don't worry helterbelter.. you guys will be the first to know!  ;D

Thanks again,

Ciao
Cheu

Your problem is that these are made by specialized-automated processes, and any change to the once-optimized process will be very expensive. Noone makes dynamic microphones by hand anymore - that sort of fun probably ended in late 30'es..

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Your problem is that these are made by specialized-automated processes, and any change to the once-optimized process will be very expensive. Noone makes dynamic microphones by hand anymore - that sort of fun probably ended in late 30'es..

Jakob E.

too bad..!  :'(
I hoped that even if there's no hand made capsule anymore I could find some old artisan or at least a company that is willing to experiment or at least work at the product.. Or selling existing capsules.. I'll try to contact the big boys as wll, but I doubt that they could have any interest..

Thank you all for your entries..Really appreciated!
I'll let you know how this story ends .. I'm still positive, maybe there's a way that I didn't consider yet..

Bests,

Cheu

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Vintage-Microphone-Mikrofon-altes-TELEFUNKEN-TD-300_W0QQitemZ320485414419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Elektronik_Computer_Audio_Hi_Fi_Mikrofone?hash=item4a9e6b5613

On a side note, the Telefunken Mics mania is still on, apparently.... I wouldn't spend more than 30 euro's on any TD model.... well, maybe for a TD20/25, TD200 or a TD60 I would make an exception : 40 euro max.

The MD42 I'm referring to is an old (tuchel) model, not this new one :
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Sennheiser-MD-42-Mikrofon-Niere-Instrumenten-Mikro_W0QQitemZ330400726719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Elektronik_Computer_Audio_Hi_Fi_Mikrofone?hash=item4ced6afebf

helterbelter said:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Vintage-Microphone-Mikrofon-altes-TELEFUNKEN-TD-300_W0QQitemZ320485414419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Elektronik_Computer_Audio_Hi_Fi_Mikrofone?hash=item4a9e6b5613

On a side note, the Telefunken Mics mania is still on, apparently.... I wouldn't spend more than 30 euro's on any TD model.... well, maybe for a TD20/25, TD200 or a TD60 I would make an exception : 40 euro max.

The MD42 I'm referring to is an old (tuchel) model, not this new one :
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Sennheiser-MD-42-Mikrofon-Niere-Instrumenten-Mikro_W0QQitemZ330400726719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Elektronik_Computer_Audio_Hi_Fi_Mikrofone?hash=item4ced6afebf

I'll check them out! Thank you very much...
I'm greatful to you all for helping me out!! I'm nobody here, so I really appreciated it!
I had some interesting news today... I'll keep you updated..!
:)

Ciao

Cheu

Back