My latest obsession K47 capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tskguy

I thought I would post some pic's of my latest DIY venture. I still have a lot to work out. As you can see the middle hole isnt perfect and I still need to finish lapping the surface flat. And the worst part is it may not even sound good! I did most of the work based on Dale and Tim. The work they have already completed has been a huge help. Its not 100% some of the hole placment isnt perfect but I can always drill another backplate if this one sounds bad.
I have some mylar comming and have a tuning method worked out. I will post more as I progress.

Eric

_MG_5759.jpg

_MG_5758.jpg

_MG_5750.jpg

The brass is pretty easy to find I use onlinemetals.com the little brass screws took some time to find but i went with a company called www.jimorrisco.com I went with 00-90 size threads. Its real close to 1mm size hole and about 4mm long the heads are called oval fillister. Its a little challanging tapping the holes!
The hole pattern came from our friend Dale. The only reason I even attempted doing is because I found someone who would sell me mylar already coated with gold. I will keep his name quite out respect of his wishes. Matt I will make sure and bring it to our next Chi town DIY meeting!

Eric

Kudos - this is real DIY. Keep us up to date and ask lots of questions!

Good luck with your project.

Thanks,

Im sure I will have a bunch of questions once I get the mylar. Im still working on a tensioning/tuning device. I have some good ideas but Ive never worked with 6 micron mylar before. I hope to see the mylar sometime this week. I will post pics again after I get it. One thing Im having trouble finding are the very small washer things the wires connect to. If any one has a good source please let me know. All of the usual suspects have them but are to large. I cant remember what they are called for some reason!

Eric

Wow, I'm impressed. Hope it will sound as good as you sure hope it will. I'm a big fan of the Neumann K47; I actually like it a bit more than the M7.

Thanks,

If all goes well with this capsule I may try and get a cnc setup to produce these things. The lathe work is really easy but drilling all those holes really is a bummer! Im just trying to figure out the best solution. CNC mill or a CNC router. Im pretty sure either would work but a mill would allow for more flexibilty. If anyone has a used cnc mill contact me!!

Thanks
Eric

tskguy said:
I thought I would post some pic's of my latest DIY venture. I still have a lot to work out. As you can see the middle hole isnt perfect and I still need to finish lapping the surface flat. And the worst part is it may not even sound good! I did most of the work based on Dale and Tim. The work they have already completed has been a huge help. Its not 100% some of the hole placment isnt perfect but I can always drill another backplate if this one sounds bad.
I have some mylar comming and have a tuning method worked out. I will post more as I progress.

Eric

_MG_5759.jpg

_MG_5758.jpg

_MG_5750.jpg

Eric,

Do you have a Cad Drawing for this capsule???....or do you have a holes description??

Thanks a lot,
Opacheco.

tskguy said:
If all goes well with this capsule I may try and get a cnc setup to produce these things.

Woah!!!! like produce these things so that us lucky mortals could get a chance at getting some?

That would be cool

J

Hey all,

I actually used the hole pattern from Dales web site. http://www.10000cows.com/M7CapsuleDirections.pdf
It is very helpful!! I just lathed out the middle hole and faced it down so its flat. Then I printed out that file so the outer diameter is spot on and stuck it with 3m 77. Then I started drilling!! That is the part that SUCKS!! Im still sourcing some things but depending on cost of a cnc mill I may have something setup in the next month or so. That all depends on how my first one sounds! If I cant get it to sound good I wont bother spending the dough to produce these.

Eric

Well here is my first attempt at skinning this thing.

_MG_5805.jpg

Its not perfect but it actually sounds pretty good! I hooked it up to my g7 and it didn't sound bad not perfect but usable! I need to tweak some things like the phasing. But its for sure in the right direction. One thing for sure is the center screw is to large. It wont effect the sound too much but it makes things a little difficult while skinning. I also need to find a source for those tiny ring terminals. I couldn't find any so I made my own. but if I want to make a few of these I need a source. So if anyone out there has any idea on how to find these let me know!! I am also building a cnc router to aid in drilling. We will see how that works out!

Eric

tskguy said:

Eric

_MG_5759.jpg

_MG_5758.jpg

_MG_5750.jpg

Eric, nice work very interesting. Is the M7 with the same holes and bronze structure????....How about the M7??
thanks a lot,
Opacheco

I did speak with him about them but he has them custom made and I didnt have the nerver to ask him. He said just a strip of brass would work and it did I just think it looks crappy.  I will most likely give him a call again and ask him if he is willing to part with a handfull.

E

Latest posts

Back