Bleeder Resistor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathtracks

Can anyone post a schemo or maybe explain where a bleeder resistor should be placed on this 300vdc output?Is there a bleeder already on this shemo(dumb question I'm a newb)?I take it C82,C83,andC84 are the ones to discharge right? fibrillation is not on the menu.....

http://www.lunarrecording.com/Power.pdf

looks to me like R173 is already bleeding those caps, but I guess otherwise you'd stick it after C84. Figure a bleeder resistor by how long you want it to take to fully discharge (which is 5 * R * C, you'd have to figure out the proper R and C values because of the paralleled C's and the series R's, including R173)... it's a tradeoff, because the quicker it bleeds, the lower the resistance, which means the more current through the bleeder, which means more power a) wasted, and b) generating heat in the bleeder.

i thaught R173 was bleeding them also but was not sure.thanks for the suggestions.
can anyone say for sure that R173 is bleeding the caps?and how long after shutdown are they discharged?my ohm's law is a bit rusty.

if this is already built, hook up a multimeter to it with the power off, make sure your connections are solid and nonshorting, turn on the power, verify ~300V, turn off the power, and see how long it takes for it to drop to 0.

If it doesn't drop, it's not bleeding! :)

Latest posts

Back