Looking for cheap, single or stereo handheld recorder with XLR inputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

So all I need is a recorder that does either a single channel or stereo and has XLR inputs with phantom power.  I don't care what format it records as long as I get 44.1/16 in the end.

Anybody know anything like this?

Best thing I could find is the Zoom H4 but it's still too pricey for what I really need from it.

I think what I might do is get a USB interface with phantom/XLR run from the USB bus and put this crappy old G4 laptop to work.

Anybody have opinions on the phantom from USB thing?

I think Marantz may be the product line to check out on that one.  They've always made a number of small field recording units with features of the day.

I doubt they're super cheap but they've been reasonable. Shure may have made a couple as well.

As usual the cheap usually disappears with XLRs on the unit.

Yeah those are bit pricey.

The only real issue is that I need it to be battery or USB/Firewire powered because it's going to be used as a field recorder for a camera.

I found a couple cheap older USB powered products that will power a shotgun mic.  I think I'll just use one of those.

I have a Tascam DA-P1 DAT field recorder for sale. Has bag and all. Low hours, sounds great, 2XLR w/Phantom. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm using the Marantz PMD661 for video field work. It runs on batteries. It's kind of a bargain for how reliable it is.

Back