Help/Advice on some McCurdy Gear...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjimbaker

Hello there... This is my first post. You guys came highly recommended from a friend. I have been working on  audio gear for a few years. Mostly just fixing stuff. I have never tried to rack anything until now. I could really use some advice. I just bought two McCurdy broadcast consoles of early '80's vintage. I got them for dirt cheap, a few hundred dollars. The model # is SS8816A. Along with the two consoles came two control turrets with 3 mic pres in each turret. I pulled the pcb's out to get a look and the preamps have beyer input transformers. The model # for the preamp cards is AP375. I guess the first thing I would like to do is rack these suckers up. Was hoping someone might be able to hook me up with a schematic. As well, the consoles don't have a power supply. McCurdy sells them but for crazy $$$. This is what I know about the console's PSU...

"The main power supplies for those consoles were PS855. Each PS855 put out +25 Volts at 2 Amps and -25 Volts at 2 amps. There was also a PS861 which output +24 Volts at 1 amp and +48 volts at 1 amp. Both types of supplies had the same form factor. An SS8816A would typically use three PS855 and one PS861 plug-in power supplies, mounted in an FR906 Frame. The power supply frame was usually mounted beneath the console."

It would be great to get some suggestions on what my options for a new PSU are.

The consoles themselves are line in. I don't believe they have any mic pre amps in them at all. It looks as if every channel, there's 14, is stereo as well. I've been scratching my head for ideas as to what I might be able to do with these things. I was thinking I might be able to rig up a pretty kickass summing mixer for my pro tools rig. Any ideas?

I am more than happy to post more details and some pics if any of you guys feel like helping me out in any kind of way. I'd really like to make use of this gear. If you read this post, thank you for your time. Regards, Tim.

Are you in Canada?
This sounds like old CBC gear given the configuration with mic pres in the turrets and the consoles being all line in.
There's not much McCurdy information on the 'net and schematics can be hard to come by.
I've had a lot of experience with their equipment but model numbers don't mean much to me any more.
Post some pics.
You know what power is needed.
It shouldn't be hard to either make or buy suitable supplies to run them.

I think Mcurdy sells their schematics to the public for pretty reasonable rates.  I've never contacted them about this but it is the word on the street...  street being the internet. 

Check out the JLM audio psu's, they're affordable and easy to build and you can set them up for whatever voltages you need.  They're small though, so I don't know how many channels you could power with one. 

Search here for audiox summing amp, that might get your wheels turning.

are there eq's or is it just line amps.

Thanks for your replys. Greatly appreciated. Mike, I am in Canada. I live in Halifax. The consoles are from a couple of radio stations in New Brunswick. They got rid of them about 3 years ago and aparently they were in use right up until the final hours of their removal. They were given to a guy with an inside connection. They sat unsued in his studio for 3 years until I got my hooks into them.  I took some pics so you can check em out.

Substitute, thanks for the tip on JLM. I have just learned about this company. Think I'll order a couple of PSUs from them, should do the trick. I have contacted McCurdy. They fellow that I have been dealing with is great. Very pro. He responds quickly with precise information. They have all the schematics, pinouts, manuals on .PDF for most of their modules. Each one costs $25. Not too bad if you need info on one or two modules but it will add up fast because the console has numerous different parts. Worth it in the long run but I was hoping I might get lucky and find someone on here that has some of the shcematics already.

Here's some photos to check out. Not the best quality but you'll get the idea. Thanks again. Cheers...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47552716@N08/?saved=1

McCurdy is pretty much an empty shell of what it used to be.
They make only a few things these days and their website hasn't been updated in three years.
There is virtually nothing about them or their products on the internet and I guess by trying to charge people $25 bucks for each .pdf file, they're trying to bring in whatever they can.
The pictures show pretty much their last line of console modules before they stopped making consoles.
The ones with the little transformers are the mic pres.
You'll probably have to re-cap all the modules if you want any bass!
As was said previously, the power supplies will be a lot cheaper if you either buy them from someone else or make them.

Latest posts

Back