i built a 1176 running at the first shot, but i can't build a tube screamer.why?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietro_moog

i'm so pissed off. you have no idea how.
i built stuff like 1176, gssl, a couple of preamps, and some other stuff.

now i built for my 3rd time a musikding tube screamer.
this fucking thing is not working, and i can't really understand why!!
wiring is good, components are at the right place, soldered good.

in bypass it sounds like it has no ground.
when it's on i can hear distortion, but it's a thousand db under the noise!!!!
why???
oh my god, why???

what does this thing want from me!!!!!????

i'm really pissed off. you have no idea.
i don't know what to do..

Calm down, go for a walk without thinking about it, a brizz of fresh air, a nice girl sitting right next to you ... Next day get back to it with a positive mind, it's always good to get kicked back from the beginning, i love doing this on my mixes, work hard for hours and erase all the settings to get back to beginning, you'll be surprised.

PS: maybe a bad IC  ???

i know..
i should have done this tonight.

guys, this is ridiculous.
i tried the bypass switch with a resistor. it works. when bypass is engaged what goes in is what comes out.
i  connect the pedal and all i have is noise! and the pedal does not have power yet! there is no way this can happens, but it does.
it doesn't pass sound! just noise! without power and within bypass engaged this thing should be like a wire! WTF!!
btw, the amp works, cables too.
this doesn't make sense.

i'm lead to believe that the circuit is working, but there is something so wrong somewhere.
i'm going nuts!

Lol. I know that feeling(we all do)...it SUCKS. And in the end, when you find something small you forgot...you can't believe how stupid it is! You'll get it. Relax. It's only a small thing.

Always a good idea to get back to basics with the wiring. If poss apply signal directly to input on board and check output (disconnect any footswtich wiring etc).

Make sure your footswitch isn't wrongly wired and grounding the input when effect selected.

If you're switching battery -ve through input jack, check that it's actually connecting to gnd when you insert a jack plug. Some of those 'stereo' jack skts look like they will switch the middle connection to gnd but are actually a normally closed  i.e break contact between the middle connection and tip on insertion. This can be remedied by carefully bending out the middle contact with a small screwdriver so it is in contact with the jack barrel on insertion. This effectively changes the switching action.  I had to do this on a couple of pedals I built this week. Check that you are are getting 9v across earth and +ve when you insert your jack plug.

Chris

i am such a tool.
i used this jacks

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Cliff-MO-LUGS-BLK.html

(they are fairy ugly,don't ask me why, i thought they were cool)
i didn't connect the right pins! and i was measuring making contact with the 2
now everything is fine, and it sound really good

Latest posts

Back