Are the API 3288 550 A eq's compatible with the 500 series racks?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I  got asked this today. I honestly didn't know. I am sure the brains around here have an answer and a why or why not.

:)
I'm definately not a brain.. :-[.., but it's listed on the site with the others as being a 500 module..( 3-band EQ)

Snatchman said:
pucho812 said:
I  got asked this today. I honestly didn't know. I am sure the brains around here have an answer and a why or why not.

:)
I'm definately not a brain.. :-[.., but it's listed on the site with the others as being a 500 module..( 3-band EQ)

I was thinking the same thing but I recall hearing something like there is a pinout difference or something along those lines in the console modules.

I don't have much for brains either (no offense Snatchman  ;)) but I do know that there is no problem with swapping the eq's. I take them from my desk to a rack with no issues. I have a pair of reissue 550a's in the desk that work perfectly.

I think the issue was the vintage 525 desk comps had a different pin out. I actually rewired the 2 compressor slots in my board to accept the new compressors which are a normal 500 series pin out.

Another thing though is the 3288 model number. I am not really certain that a model 3288 ever existed. My board is a 32 in with 16 subgroups (or busses in case John Roberts reads this  ;D, couldn't resist) and space for 32 monitor returns. All the center modules are identical to that of every 2488 that I have seen. I think that is where the 3288 comes from. But...the front of the binder that holds the docs is clearly original and is marked "3232". Just a bit of ancient API history. There could be an actual 3288. Maybe someone else knows?

Cheers, Jeff

I probably have the model number wrong but it is a pre API legacy console.

here is a picture of the desk in question/ It's 40 input with 40 monitor. The owner had a few eq's pulled and put into some 500 series racks. Wanted to do more of them but was saying he had to have them modified in order to make them work? It didn't sound right to me but I am not up on my API information. The owner couldn't get a hold of the original guy who did them and has asked me to mod them to be 500 series  rack compatible.  Maybe he just added shielding or something to the modules going next to the PSU in the 500 series rack? I know the newer API desk's legacy and beyond have different size modules and they won't work in the 500 series format.  You have an API desk similar to this one in terms of years I believe  and if your doing it without issue, then I'll break the bad news that the owner got taken for some serious cash.

IMAGE_control05LRG.jpg

Latest posts

Back