Anyone know of an equivalent Neumann U67 mic transformer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce42

Does anyone know of an equivalent mic output transformer to the Neumann BV12 (that was used in the U67) being sold by any other manufacturer? 

I believe its a 1:7 with a feedback wire in it.

Thanks
Rich

Afaik there is no direct replacement. I know that one reason Neumann doesn't manufacture the U67 anymore is the lack of this transformer. For the re-issue in the 90s, they only made as many as the original transformer manufacturer could supply.

ioaudio said:
bv8, bv11, bv12 and any of the variations (e.g. bv7 fom my mk7 project) used with this kind of lamination.

hey, cooool!  ;D

I'm knee deep working on a number of projects, at the moment, but I'd like to attempt a U67 clone in the not too far future.

Rossi said:
hey, cooool!  ;D

I'm knee deep working on a number of projects, at the moment, but I'd like to attempt a U67 clone in the not too far future.

I am also doing too many projects in tandem, but the U67 clone is begging me to come get:) 

I realise the absense of a readily available, well unto now, xformer had an impact on this but there seems to be so much C12 and U47 cloning and the U67 seems to have gone into hiding. 

Rossi said:
Afaik there is no direct replacement. I know that one reason Neumann doesn't manufacture the U67 anymore is the lack of this transformer. For the re-issue in the 90s, they only made as many as the original transformer manufacturer could supply.

Hi, sorry to interrupt but who did make the original bv12s for the u67? Was it haufe?

Bv.12 was produced in the house  by Neumann,  using  Vacuumschmelze mumetall UI30/25 lamination.  As far I know Haufe never produced Bv.12 .

Only manufacturer besides Neumann I know what used  the original matirial was Haufe in ther version of the BV.08 transformer. Unfortunatelly it's custom made for Andreas Grosser.  "Equivalent" lamination with modern materials (not the same chemical composition) are available but not in small quantities , approx 10kg is MOQ. Since it's high nickle alloy , custom shape and the final heat treatment is done in special enviroment - high temperature  price is the "serious one" ;)

Moby said:
Only manufacturer besides Neumann I know what used  the original matirial was Haufe in ther version of the BV.08 transformer. Unfortunatelly it's custom made for Andreas Grosser.  "Equivalent" lamination with modern materials (not the same chemical composition) are available but not in small quantities , approx 10kg is MOQ. Since it's high nickle alloy , custom shape and the final heat treatment is done in special enviroment - high temperature  price is the "serious one" ;)

Any idea what the $/MOQ comes out to?  ;) 

From what I've seen (very very few) of the BV.x, the lamination changed over time.  I'm not picky  "must be original bla bla".

Suitable equivalent is a ok.

Yes, there was few manufacturers of the original material but just two of them are still in business. German Krupp and Vac.  Regarding modern UI30/25  I will not talk about prices here (i don't sell them) but you can contact me via mail and maybe I can help you with that.

ioaudio said:
:)

edit: let me clarify - i offer bv12 replacement transformers.

so these are the transformers for the u67 build? i don't understand transformers well and am looking for one for the kit i am building. thanks.

Back