Vancouver 2010

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course they won!

Two of the refs were from Canada!

;D

Man, I´m way behind on modern hockey rules...............

It's true, It could have gone either way without question. I just keep telling myself that the Americans were at an advantage having played less hockey in the preceding days.

abby normal said:
Barely clinched...  ;)  ;D

Woooo, sour grapes.   ;)

They did have to play quite a few games to get to the last round, many were blow outs. The US and Slovak games were notable exceptions. It could have gone either way and the fact that no one gave the US team any chance of getting a medal speaks volumes about how proud you should be of their accomplishment.

Of course the refs are from Canada, last time I checked the games were in Vancouver. :)

The referee's stayed out of the way and didn't call any penalties which threw the game in any particular direction.

Mark

Mark, the reason the refs were Canadian is that it just so happens that the two best refs in the NHL are Canadian.

Marik, the opening and closing ceremonies were a national embarrassment on a whole. Don't even get me started on the awful lip syncing and awful musical choices that were made...

I watched the closing ceremonies and I thought I was on some sort of Great White North acid trip. I want one of those giant beavers for my front lawn!  ;D

Ptownkid said:
It's true, It could have gone either way without question.

It just shows you that hockey is a North American driven sport. The only reason why the Soviets were good at it was they had a team of robots like this guy.  :D

dolph-m145.jpg

abby normal said:
Ptownkid said:
It's true, It could have gone either way without question.

It just shows you that hockey is a North American driven sport. The only reason why the Soviets were good at it was they had a team of robots like this guy.  :D

Mmmm... Excuse me?

The Russians had an incredible team on paper...but unfortunately you need a balance of different player types and not a team made entirely of offensive players. Before someone goes all PC on me, I mean offensive as in goal scoring and not offensive as in what my son just did to the air in this room.

To be honest, I was more nervous for that Russian game than any other. I mean seriously, Ovechkin is, in my opinion, the most dynamic hockey player in the world and they had Nabakov in net!

The Russian's themselves are now steeped in a cultural thing
trying to recreate the the great hockey game of the 70's
against Canada ,  they care less about the old cold war U.S.

And don't forget we have that 02 rich air that also makes things sound better here

okgb said:
The Russian's themselves are now steeped in a cultural thing
trying to recreate the the great hockey game of the 70's
against Canada ,  they care less about the old cold war U.S.

It is actually pretty disappointing to see Russians losing an edge in many positions they historically were dominating. Just think of that--no one single gold in figure skating, hockey, etc.!

On the other hand, clearly, Asians come to the scene with great success, taking sports they never were known for...

Interesting how traditions change...

Best, M 

This city has been so ridiculous for the past 2 weeks! In a good way though. I went downtown a couple of times. Absolute mayhem, but people here have never been happier which is really great to see. You can't escape the olympic spirit!

USA vs Canada gold medal game was such a great game of hockey. Never a dull moment. I actually had to go to work right after the third period, so I missed the overtime period. I couldn't believe it! I am ready to walk out the door knowing Canada had gold, and US scores a goal with 54 seconds left? I "watched" the overtime on the vancouver 2010 site with live updates. wee. Didn't stop me from running around like an idiot when it updated to say final score was 3-2.

This city erupted after that game. I have never seen so much unhinged joy. Really really cool. I didn't get a chance to see the closing ceremonies, but there were some parts of the opening ceremonies that I could have done without. Flying over the wheat fields of alberta? yippee (sarcasm here). I thought the celtic stuff was pretty cool though.

Back