Tubes circuits and lesser fidelity

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The circuits I see won't give you the sound you're looking for. You have to think outside the box and not many will do that. Ever played with positive feedback coupled with low plate voltage with current held constant with sandstate? Let's see some creativity boys...c'mon. If you want ugly start with 12AX7 that tube is all for it.

I'm all for positive feedback, even if non-feedback stages alone will give more than enough distortion. Same for low plate voltages, that one is a proven trick. Possibly ruined in reputation by Art, Behringer and the ilk...

But doesn't constant current (plate choke, or a FET?) - instead of a plate resistor for example - just take us directly to a blocking distortion fart out? Not exactly "soft and pleasing".

What else could constant current provide us, distortion wise?

Kingston said:
I'm all for positive feedback, even if non-feedback stages alone will give more than enough distortion. Same for low plate voltages, that one is a proven trick. Possibly ruined in reputation by Art, Behringer and the ilk...

But doesn't constant current (plate choke, or a FET?) - instead of a plate resistor for example - just take us directly to a blocking distortion fart out? Not exactly "soft and pleasing".

What else could constant current provide us, distortion wise?

Experimentation is needed.

Latest posts

Back