G7 pattern switch pop/bang/thump...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sverige_cruz

Hello all,

I'm trying to hunt down a definitive answer regarding the switch type for my G7 mic. I am not experiencing any troubles with the mic, except for a loud pop/bang/click/thump-type sound when changing patterns. I'm using a Peluso CEK12 capsule with a break-befo'-make switch. The mic sounds great otherwise...voltages are all good...just that annoying pop. So far I've just been living with it, but I'd like to find out if I can make it go away.

I read Gus' post
for a capsule without center screws you might want the voltage under 60V and over 40V depending on how the skin is tuned
, but I'm not quite sure how to interpret that (I mean, will I be able to get those patterns still...well, I can't really be sure that I'm getting totally-cardioid, etc. now) Perhaps this will cure it.

I also read in that same thread where Stewart talked about using a break-before-make switch, otherwise you get fireworks. So, what I'm trying to get at is: is it normal for my mic to be popping like this, and if not, what causes it, and is there anything to do about it? I read somewhere else here, not related to the mic, but CJ posted something about a Pultec and resistors across an EQ selector switch to "ease" the switching noise...anything in that direction?

Thanks for the patience and help! :guinness:

Best Regards,
Jesus

[quote author="gyraf"]Any variable-pattern microphone will pop when pattern is changed...?[/quote]

I thought so too. I don't usually change patterns whilst listening!

The problem that I had was that there were visible sparks! I had used some salvaged but good quality (silver contacts) 'open' rotary switches and got a blue flash on switching. The rotary switches had about 11 positions so I used 1,3 and 5, leaving 2 and 4 blank. So effectively I made my own break-before-make switch.

Stewart

Geez - Why do people build mics if they don't even know how they act... :green: (not to lose translation...it's me I'm talking 'bout)

Thanks, guys. I guess it shows how new I really am to this recording stuff.
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jesus

I've just been trying to address this issue too. Here's what you can do: put a low pass filter after the pattern switch. You could wire it right to the switch if you have some unused terminals. I desoldered the wire from the common terminal and put a 1M ohm resistor from the common terminal on the switch to an unused terminal. The common wire then gets wired to the unused terminal with the resistor and a 1uF to 2uf capacitor of which the other side is wired to ground on the switch. Worked out well for me. You'll see a lowpass filter like this on a number of old mic circuits.

-Josh

Back