70s Soundcraft Series 2 Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was doing some all analog tracking last night using the onboard pres to my Tascam 80-8 reel to reel and I'm finding I had to cut the top end to keep the hiss down... I don't seem to get as much noise when I use my Green Pres in the same set up.

I'm not surprised that you're getting more hiss on a console of that vintage.  I have an 800 series from 1980 and before I had work done to it it was producing a fair amount of hiss.  Typical things like old caps contributing.

Older Soundcrafts seem to be fairly upgrade friendly.  I'd recommend contacting Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades if you really want to go all out.  It improved the noise floor on my console immensely.

Also check the manual for interface levels.  80-8 is a semi-pro output level.  800 series made provisions for changing between interface levels via a strapping resistor.  No idea if Series 2 offers this.  Probably more of an issue on playback than racking.

good luck

I didn't want to start a new topic so hopefully someone can shed some light on an issue I've been dealing with for the last while!

I have unmodified my output channels (recapped - set to stock) and things were good for a bit but i have noticed I seem to have  very distorted ghost note like sound behind notes all the time now.  It is volume dependent - if it is quiet I don't hear it but anything say within -10db and up on the VU I can hear it (most notable with electric guitar).

I have replaced the power supply with a power one linear - with no change.
I have recapped the master channel - with no change
The distortion is present on the bus output , it is present when the signal is sent to remix directly, it is there on the direct out on the channel
I have recapped a channel with no luck (a test before doing them all).
Distortion is present regardless of channel used or bus the sound is routed to (it occurs globally)
Stronger on one side over the other (left I believe - but still present on the right)

I've really run out what the heck has happened and why I have this distortion that ghosts and doubled in the background....

Ideas?  I have been fighting with this for a few months and would really like to get to recording not fiddling!  I'm not sure I'm ready to throw in the towel and cart this beast down to a tech yet either...

Mike

Awesome just saw this thread now! 

Soundcraft%20Series%20Two.jpg

I have one of these - I guess it would be a Series Two, as opposed to Series 2 (since that is referring to a different console) - got it free in a dumpster a few years back when we bought our TAC Magnum in New Jersey.  It's in roughish shape, and the PSU is totally screwed and needs rebuilding.  Jensen trafos, meters are a bit screwed and I might be able to repair those.  Some knobs bent (it was literally thrown in the dumpster the day before we arrived argh).  But, it's a project of mine to eventually put this back together as a guitar tracking console, replace the wooden sides with real wood and just generally put it back to stock condition.  If anyone has any parts to sell, or anything at all, that would be amazing. 

I also don't have the manual or schematics - can anyone share?

Thanks!
Sig

Very cool!

Your channels all have the fixed EQs which people say are more desireable as they have no ICs.  I have both sweep and fixed and both sound good to me.

Re: Power supply - I just changed mine ot a PowerOne linear 48v supply and trimmed it down to 40v (I have to build a separate phantom supply though...).

Hopefully you can fix your meters (or find a suitable replacement) as those Sifam R22AFs are pricey!

The manual is still available over at soundcraft - here's a link : http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/user_guides.aspx?pid=67#downloads.  It has the schematics but all of the parts overlays are not in it unfortunately... no biggie unless you are trying to rebuild some really modified parts (like mine had).  I see you're in Ontario (like me) so if you need Patrick over at Tele-tech has a full original copy (not that he's offering it out!).  Likely other techs do as well.

If only I could get rid of the global distortion issue I'm having I'd be a happy guy!!  Good luck with yours... they are not too difficult to work on (until you actually have to remove any PCBs - yours is smaller than mine though so its easy to get on its side and get the back off...)

Mike

Hi, let me join the party.... :)

I have found a Soundcraft Series-Two recently (16-8-2), it has been my favorite FOH desk for many years.
I also own two of the smaller sisters Series-One (1x 16-channel & 1x 12-channel).
The previous owner started restoration, but did not have the time to finish it. Up to the VU-buffer-prints and some P&G fader-knobs, it is complete.
Unless modified, the Series-Two is fitted with Sowter iron, not Jensen.
Best catch is a complete manual including board layouts, I have to find a good local shop which can scan it for me so I can share it with you.
I also used to service them in the past, but I am a bit 'rusty' in that area.

There are some unobtainables, like the routing switches (and they are often problematic) and some potmeters.

Here is a picture of the lady in transit, and yes, on the left is the documentation..

Theo

Attachments

• IMG_0773-s.jpg
    IMG_0773-s.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 94
Sweet score!

I would be forever grateful to you if I could get a scan of the complete manual from you at some point.

Ya some of the pots are not available... thankfully I got enough from an old tech to fix my broken ones.

Mike

Sorry to dig up an old thread but it seemed most applicable to what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a source for the triple gangs pots in these EQs? Been restoring a 24 channel one and might need to source some. A good cleaning has brought quite a few back to life, but I'd still love to track some down.

I might be dreaming...

Hey I’m new to the DIY boards.

I have a 32ch board from 1976. I keep frying the PSU and would love a hand troubleshooting it.

I have started a soundcraft series two Instagram acct. I have a handful of people from all over the world already following.

@soundcraftseriestwo

It’d be great to start a little community of Series II owners.

Hi,
I'm trying to restore a series II desk I just bought. I bought a semi working 16:4 version, fixed eq - I'm looking for the manual and any schematics if possible - anything really - if anyone could help me out? Also - as I'm recapping mine, does anyone know what type of caps these things like? Thank you!

Here's a manual/schematics ;)
Me and my friend just got a Series II 16/8 and it's missing the PSU, I haven't looked into it yet, but since it has the sweepable EQs and thus ICs, I presume the PSU is a bit more than just a unipolar 40V (+Phantom)? Or is there an onboard regulator board for the ICs inside the mixer?

Attachments

• Soundcraft Series II Series2_user_guide_1-2.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Sorry to dig up an old thread but it seemed most applicable to what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a source for the triple gangs pots in these EQs? Been restoring a 24 channel one and might need to source some. A good cleaning has brought quite a few back to life, but I'd still love to track some down.

I might be dreaming...
State Electronics. They can make customs, not cheap.

Hi. I’m the new owner of a discrete 75’ S2 12/4 channel model.
Wanted one of these for some time.
Great to have the info here.
The line ins have been ‘aftermarket’ balanced with an I.C on perf board, and the phantom power switches removed.
Otherwise looks in good shape but for a few pots taking a nock.
P.S.U needs a recap before anything happens.
Thanks for the help. :) Greg.

hello all... thought I'd join here as I picked up a 16/8 model with 8 channels of parametric EQ and 8 standard.

A fair few broken pots on the Aux sends which I'm debating how to deal with. Initial thoughts are to swap them from the bus section so all the channels have complete aux sends and figure out how to deal with the bus sends later. I may find they are not essential to my workflow anyway.

Or I could just wire in dual gang pots and have fixed pairs. Might work depending on what I'm doing with the buses.

Some further mods I'm considering:

1. Rewiring the festoon lamps in parallel and creating a voltage divider to drop the voltage to around 12v (possibly also using 12V LED festoon bulbs)

2. Adding inserts on the Remix master so I can potentially try out different summing amps. I have a couple of 1272 modded line/mic amps already waiting and also a couple of API clones to be built that I'd like to try reroute the summing bus into.

3. Also there are 16 tape returns which can be switched between the 8 busses. I'm thinking of rewiring 8 of these into a passive summing network direct to the mix bus that can be used for summing 4 stereo pairs. Then using the other 8 inputs which can use the bus pan pots as needed. This would provide a nice 16 channel integrated summing system from the DAW.

4. The PSU is a modified Soundcraft 'Large Console' 3U rack unit which uses 2x 24v rails strapped together and adjusted down to 20v each to provide the 40v. This unit has a noisy fan and seems like overkill so I'm looking at replacing with a 48v SMPS unit and dropping this down to 40v.
There's various switches that need replacing and pots that need cleaning. I've already reseated a number of the ALPS faders that were worked away from their housings, but they may need replacing at some point.

Any ideas on replacement sizes of these? They measure around 80mm...

heres a pic of the beauty while she was in transit

IMG_3318.jpg

Latest posts

Back