pucho812

to the person who sold my guitar player a space echo
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
why did you let a cat pee on it and then never clean it.  I swear it's like 10 plus years of never cleaning off pee mixed with  lying around a closed space. It smells, it smells bad, it smells extremely awful and has made me sick to my stomach. I am almost at the point wherwe I wanna say f**k it go let someone else service it... but I will venture forward vomit be dammed.  >:(
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

Re: to the person who sold my guitar player a space echo
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:45:48 PM »
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...  ;D

shabtek

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
its 5 o'clock here?

bleach, no try spraying on some ammonia...NO.
vinegar...lemon juice? baking soda.

is it 5 o'clock yet?
"really fine players do not use stomp boxes or master volume, they match the amp to the room and turn it up to 11.  Stevie Ray, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Louis Armstrong"
   -CJ

pucho812

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »
well sick to my stomach,  even while wearing a breathing mask such as used in construction,  I have finished getting this unit up and working like a champ. It could use a new tape but other then that it works perfectly.

Any sort of cleaning on it just made it smell like cat pee and cleaning product which was not a good combo.
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »
You sure it's cat pee? It might be Stray Cat pee. I hear Brian Setzer likes to get pissed and hang one into a space echo every now and then.  ;D

Svart

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:03 AM »
 ;D

Seriously though, use acetone.  Make sure you get that piss off 100%.  I used to see what happened to circuits I designed in sewer robots whose seals leaked.  Man that stuff ate the copper right off the boards.
Welcome to the GroupDIY leper colony! when something falls off, we just replace it with a tube!

Alesis X2 information repository:
http://www.theopiumdenproductions.

coniglius

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »
Heh, shouldn't you be asking your guitar player why he bought a cat-pee soaked Space Echo?  :P

MagnetoSound

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »

Ammonia is strongly alkaline. I would be trying something like citric acid or vinegar to neutralise it.
Dan

I don't think people realize what an embarrassment of riches this place is   -  Paul Gold

MartyMart

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:52:46 AM »
+1 on the citrus / Vinegar based cleaner to kill cat pee !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

jensenmann

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »
I thought they all smell like that. Mine does at least and some of my buddies Spaceechoes do it, too. It might come frome a decade of sitting somewhere in the corner of a barn because at that time 12 Bit delays were thought to be the best. ;D
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

pstamler

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Go get a new tape. I bet the problem is that the breakdown products of the old tape smell like cat pee.

While the tape is off the machine, do the vinegar treatment on everything. Except the tape, which you should throw away.

Peace,
Paul

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
As an owner of two stupid cats, take my word for it: acidic products won't work. Neutralizing the alkaline won't kill the smell. Go to any pet store and ask them for an enzyme based urine cleaner. Just For Cats is a national brand name but there are others. A stronger version of this is what's used to clean up after rotting corpses.

pucho812

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
interesting thought on break down of tape but no the foul stench of ammonia filled the air. It reminded me of my friend and his wife's house. They have a very old cat who can't always make the litter box now days. It was strong smell like their house sometimes

pstamler

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:08:12 PM »
If not the tape, remove and sniff the pinch roller and any belts the thing might have. The fact that more than one person's SpaceEcho smells like cat pee suggests to me that it's not really cat pee.

Peace,
Paul

pucho812

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
well I have no real intention on finding out.  It made me sick working on it. I would hate to think what would happen if I actually went looking for the source as to why it stinks?

okgb

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »
I miss walking into a studio and being greeted by the smell of tape
GKB Audio / Greg Boboski

Kid Squid

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
Wow Svart,
I used to see what happened to circuits I designed in sewer robots whose seals leaked.  Man that stuff ate the copper right off the boards.

Sewer Robots ?!?!?  :)

Cool name for a band....

Steve  ;D
It is not the same as 4+12, nor is it the same as 4+8, but 4+12 IS the same as 4+8+12....

http://www.facebook.com/LazyLizardLabs