For Sale: Abbey Road Studios

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I get first pick and I'm taking the u-47's so there.

Yeah, besides U47 there are plenty of other goodies:

http://www.abbeyroad.com/services/equipment-and-tech-facilities/microphones/

HI,

Once upon a time, i was taken into the holy of holies, and there were FAR more tube mics than that iirc . . . . . . . . there were drawers and drawers and drawers of 'em . . . .

strangeandbouncy said:
HI, Once upon a time, i was taken into the holy of holies, and there were FAR more tube mics than that iirc . . . . . . . . there were drawers and drawers and drawers of 'em . . . .

I saw recent pics, and it still is drawers and drawers. I suppose any collection appears smaller on paper than in reality. The list posted totals at 673 mics...

What a shame ..... VERY sad state of affairs :-(
I've worked in Studio 2 and "The penthouse" many times, such a wonderful atmosphere in the place
and no where else comes close to that particular history.

:-(  :-(

MM

I don't think anyone is about to liquidate the studio assets. It's just a change of ownership from the piss-poorly managed EMI to someone more deserving.

MartyMart said:
I think that giving Robbie 80 mil and the Mariah Scarey pay off was the final straw but EMI have
been on the way southwards for some time.

I still remember a couple of years back their CEO was questioning why a small country like Finland has a disproportionate amount of local artists signed compared to most European countries. He wanted to cut the number down. This is a country that consistently has a top10 filled with the local artists (say, 8/10), instead of the more common trait of listening to whatever the US or UK puts out. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, and not being able to adapt.

When the major record companies based in London only sign 5 Rock (That includes all genres & spectrums of  Rock BTW  :eek:) in one year you know that they are really only interested in selling total manufactured Boy / Girl "Bands" / Pop Idol / Reality TV / Celebrities as recording "artists" & not really interested in any sustainable long term development of music of substance. This is what happened 4 years ago so has probably got even worse!

Whilst majors are re-releasing decades old material, they evidently continue to ignore mature music fans who still want to hear innovative new bands & new material from older artists . :'(  Meanwhile most Radio stations just play the same old songs on constant random rotation from their Hard Drives, gone are the days when a DJ would go through the stations album archives or sometimes play obscure new releases :mad:

Music has now gone from being a vital mainstream art form to a side product of celebrity culture, the  only real music being produced is by the independent labels & bands themselves which is totally ignored by mainstream media.

80 Million on one artist, they could have signed hundreds of viable bands for that & still made a profit!

I'm sure Abbey Road will find a buyer, & will  carry on making money as EMI are just selling off their assets to raise cash.

An American guy hired an Abbey Road studio for a day when visiting London, at a reasonable rate & recorded some material with friends & posted the video on the internet can't remember which site it was but very interesting to see. Was thinking of doing the same myself if I got the cash!

I nearly cried...

I can't believe that, even here, people are 'shotgunning' Abbey Road kit! Can we not buy it and donate profit to The Lab, or invest it in music properly in actual real artists and music!?! [/rant]

Have the mics, Ill have the rooms...

Mo

trancedental said:
I'm sure Abbey Road will find a buyer, & will  carry on making money as EMI are just selling off their assets to raise cash.

It will surely generate some cash, but it is nowhere close to what they need (was it something like 1.5B?). We are talking about some serious money, there  :(

Best, M

This Abbey road place, do they have protools?  I hear you can record some really decent stuff with it. I wont consider buying unless someome tells me that they have this program.

As for the drawers of U47's, I personally don't need one because my audio interface already comes with a built in microphone.

Latest posts

Back