InLine Mic Preamp, done here yet?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nielsk

I am finding the need for a phantom powered in-line preamp, say 20 dB or so of gain, to boost mic output for very long cable runs. Has this been done here already, before I re-invent the wheel?
I had in mind an XLR in/out block type unit, like the in-line pads and iso devices come in, so it can plug right into the mic. Maybe a THAT preamp chip & balanced line driver, and some way to get the Bi-polar DC out of the 48 Volts..

Done? Yes.

But.... how loooooong a wire do you have, with 20dB broadband loss? I'd expect more like 4dB midband and 10dB top-band. That's not a problem solved with a flat-20 buffer.

That is not really the problem I am trying to solve, although it does present an interesting issue. I suppose one could build preamps equalized to specific cables.... I have several mics that just are not happy with long cable runs, and become subject to all kinds of noise, from 60 cycle to RF. Putting a preamp at the mic solves this, but when they are being hung 50' over a stage this is not possible.....

Back