Does anyone recognise this component (Teladi K120 mic)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

Does anyone recognise the small glass tube component on the bottom left? It's a small tube with two electrodes, one shaped like a cup.

DSC06067.jpg

From its context it should do the job of a voltage regulator or zener diode.

Thanks!

z50

strangeandbouncy said:
I think it'll be a neon.

Most likely candidate. And hence, basically a zener diode. Someone on the forum, maybe SSLTech mentioned that neons can be "hideous" sources of noise, and that a zener replacement is always an improvement.

Could well be - Thanks.

Kingston said:
can be "hideous" sources of noise, and that a zener replacement is always an improvement.

That figures - certainly something here is a hideous source of noise!

strangeandbouncy said:
    What mic is, anyway?

DSC06063.jpg

Teladi K120, with a quite different circuit to the one next to it. Notably the output cap would be in the PSU so you have many volts DC on the audio out. The other has the cap in the mic. Could cause trouble!

strangeandbouncy said:
Well, they certainly look amazing! How big is the capsule? . . . .and how do they sound?

Capsule is about 3/4 inch across, so 'medium', and it looks to be nickel rather than gold coated. Sadly they're both unusuably noisy in their current condition. Both capsules look well so I'm trying to work out the best way to make them usable and still be sympathetic to the original.

Yup - uses both sides of the tube to give two stages, both stages are plate-out. Got one of these about a year ago and the second last week.

First one is like this....

TeladiK120.jpg

But the component values are different, mic no.2 has the neon and there's something funny going on around the capsule polarisation.

I'll draw up a schemo for the new one and see what we can learn.

PS I posted some info in this earlier thread but forgot - there are a couple of good comments there.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29657.0

Latest posts

Back