Trying to pick first project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

Howdy.  I'm finally at the point where I can build a piece of outboard gear.    So, my question for the masses out there is: What would be the best thing to build, based on the following.    I do lots of programming/sequencing in Logic with only virtual instruments, kurzweil keyboards, guitars, and saxophone.    I do everything in the box.  I have a MOTU Traveler, so I can have up to 3 stereo sends.    I don't do any mastering, only mixing, composing and editing.    Lots of orchestral or r&b/smooth jazz/gospel.    So, what would be the best FIRST project to enhance my current signal chain?  LA-2A?    GSSL stereo?    I'm looking for a project that I can run EWQL/Stylus/Superior/Trilian through, as well as my keyboards and horns, and really give them a nice color, so they don't sound so 'software-y'.

Well, at least for me...even though my pet has become the SSL I would do away with it
any day at work if I had to choose between a comp and an eq for outboard...maybe an
Audiox Neumann?

two reasons for me, I don't think comps are great first builds, granted I haven't done the gssl, but usually the calibration procedure is pretty tricky on most compressors (I'm currently ready to stab my face with a screwdriver over a pair of 525's).  But more importantly, if you're composing in the box, and you run stuff out for processing you'll be able to really liven up your tracks with a good eq.  A compressor will compress your bass, it will compress your drums, and it'll compress your piano all in more or less the same fashion.  Not that having an outboard compressor wouldn't be cool (maybe do that second), it's just my opinion that an eq is an easier first project and will offer a little more "bang for the buck" given your application.  I've built both the s800 and the g-pultec and am blown away with how cool they sound.

My first project was a compressor, but that's for on the way in when I am recording vocals or guitars. Really helps me out since I am just one guy doing both. I built the LA 4 from this forum, and aside from a little tiny issue, its been a fantastic addition to my signal chain. When it comes to the mix down, I am all ITB with my UAD, and I don't think I'll ever change that.

It all comes down to what you need. Compression is fun, but its way easier to overdo it with a hardware comp then a software one. Well, at least for me anyways.

I would do a monitoring controller with a nice level control and some input / speaker selection, or maybe a small passive summing box with an external preamp with a hi-Z input.

Thanks, everyone, for all the tips.  I'll probably go with a GSSL if I want to go with a Rack unit, or a DI box.  I found a schematic over here that I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with (attached).    that seems simple enough to find the parts for.  Has anyone made any PCBs for this?     

The other thing I was considering doing, if I go with the GSSL is to just buy the turbo addon kit and assemble that first, as that doesn't have very many components, and I have never soldered onto a pcb yet, and it would probably be a good start for the GSSL project (as it would actually be a part of it).    So many many choices...  Preamp?  Compressor?  EQ?  DI box?    Oh, how I wish I had lots and lots of money... :D

Attachments

• Active DI box 1975.jpg
    Active DI box 1975.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back