EMT 140 with a missing amp (!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazeka

Hi,

I have a chance to get an EMT 140 plate reverb. The only catch is: there's no amp!  :eek:

I have yet to see it, but I am interested in it thus far. However, I am not getting my hopes up too high as it has been sitting in an open garage in a tropical savanna climate for I would say 10 years, possibly more. I'm hoping the plate in this unit is stainless? What else should I look for? Have no idea what to even offer the guy for it.

Does anyone have a spare amp for it? I am assuming it's the tube version, but are the transistor and tube amps interchangable, just to get the unit to work?

Also, is there a manual (pdf) available? I'd like to read up about it, but couldn't find anything easily on the web.

Thanks,
Chris

hi chris,

on dan alexanders site are the schematics of the amps used in the emts, wasn´t there a diy plate in tape op or somewhere where you could get the design for amp?

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/emt.html

good luck with the plate, depending on how much, i would just go for it and buy an amp off of ebay( although they seem to be expensive here in germany, around 500€) or just DIY ;D

cheers jan

Hi Jan,

I guess I could DIY something, but I'd rather not as I have seriously WAY too many DIY projects going on right now. It would be a little simpler to acquire and install the correct EMT 140 amp.

How common are EMT 140 amps on eBay? I can't imagine that they are common. I did a completed ebay search and came up with none in the last several months.

Was hoping someone (for some reason, I'm thinking in Europe where they seem to be more plentiful) would have an EMT 140 amp just lying around doin' nothin'...  ;)

fazeka said:
Was hoping someone (for some reason, I'm thinking in Europe where they seem to be more plentiful) would have an EMT 140 amp just lying around doin' nothin'...  ;)

Whenever I've seen the amps on their own they fetch a fortune.  Reason being is if you have a mono plate you can stick the extra amp in to turn it into a stereo plate.

I'm not aware that EMT made any Stainless steel plates, that was the domain of ecoplate, & possibly Stocktronics, although I'm not sure about the latter.

Rob Flinn said:
Whenever I've seen the amps on their own they fetch a fortune.  Reason being is if you have a mono plate you can stick the extra amp in to turn it into a stereo plate.

Ah, sadly that makes sense and doesn't give me much hope in finding one for a reasonable amount of money...  :'(

What are we talking about money-wise when they do show up? This so I can determine what to offer for this particular EMT 140...

maybe ask these guys, if they have any spares:

http://schmitronicshop.de/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=182&zenid=e9f6bd914a57bed35b5463576d5a3742

they bought all the stuff from the german broadcastcompany and have a huge warehouse full of old stuff, they only sell to companies with a vatnumber

hope this helps

cheers  jan

for the drivers, you could use most any small power amp

there is one plate here in town that's driver amp toasted,
losing a part made of unobtainium.  (an Echoplate)

it now has an API 701 power amp card in it that came out of
a 1604 i think it was...

the driver on the plate was also way toasted. got a new voice
coil from the old time speaker repair guy in my area.

the electronics stuff is easy, you could pay some one to do that stuff
what's there now is the parts that are not feasable to clone.

one of the two EMT plates here was in a garage for quite awhile...
it had been pretty soaked. Had to replace one side panel and end piece of
the box. Plate very rusty.  Four springs snapped, the plate flapping
like a flag in a breeze.
I wanted to take plate out & do a number on it, but the owner was pretty
unhappy with the condition of the plate when it arrived, considering it sold as
having only some minor water spots on the case.  he didn't want to put much
time into it if he was gonna send it back.  The broker finally sent up enough clips
to tension the plate, and after just a bit of love it sounded great! Rust and all.
we kept it and every one loves it

QUEEF BAG said:
there is one plate here in town that's driver amp toasted,
losing a part made of unobtainium.  (an Echoplate)

The ecoplate has got to have one of the most easy to clone amps out.  There is nothing about it that is unobtainable, it's just a bunch of op amps & an 5 easy to get transistor & a fet.  I sent the diagrams to the group gmail account.  very easy to knock up on some vero board.

Rob-

never found a uA759CH for the driver in the echoplate II

it's an IC w/ a LOT of output current.
should be a newer replacement out there but i didn't see it.

Queef,

RE: the 759 - +10!!

I had the same problem when I got a PCB, schem and layout from Jim last year.

Could find no one that had the 759 in the octal that fit on the PCB.

There's gotta be an easier way...

QUEEF BAG said:
never found a uA759CH for the driver in the echoplate II

it's an IC w/ a LOT of output current.
should be a newer replacement out there but i didn't see it.

I take it you did a google search, I came up with 3 places, although I think they a brokers so probably want you to buy 100.  But like you said probably not difficult to sub something else in.

http://www.icdigitalelectronics.com/pages/search.cfm?user=icdigel&text=ua759

http://www.1sourcecomponents.com/partinfo/ua759.htm

http://ics.usbid.com/UA759C.html

The solid state EMT circuit is pretty simple & nothing too strange as long as you can figure out what the transformers are. There is the driver amp and the pick up amps and the power supply, that's it. I've got the docs if you need anything.

Hello,

I have an EMT140 amp left.
It's the mono tube version.

It's untested and tubes are missing.
But I don't have any reason to think the amp is not ok.
It looks fine to me.
Maybe I have a spare E80CC and an E81L.
But I think the two EF804S are the most expensive ones.
They'll cost 60,- a piece.

Interested?

Best regards,

Matthew

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but the guy who had the EMT plate never did call me back for me to pick it up. =(

Knowing him, he probably chucked it at the dump as he had to get out of his place fast (long story)...  :'(

Back