Old Schlumberger console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmastudios

Hi,

I saved this old console from the dumpster.
It's Schlumberger UPS2124 (from 1971?). French manufacturer for french radio and television.
12 inputs, 4 outs with simple high/low Eq or high/low pass filter.
It's a mono console
All 16 inputs modules are TAM 653 model.
All discret with transformer.
If someone knows this desk...

383138808.jpg

383138816.jpg

383138826.jpg

383138835.jpg

383138849.jpg

383138862.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about their consoles. They stopped making them long ago and since company changed completely. They manufacture different stuff now.

But, I have two EQ modules from their UPS4000 console. Simple lo/high shelf with mid parametric. They sound fantastic! Many times I run vocal tracks in the mix through them instead of using Pultec. Mid band on my EQ is a bit too narrow so it's not that usable, but shelving highs is a magic. Also, shelving lows on bass or kick drum brings such fatness into the track. It's worth every single penny to rack those modules and use them! Unfortunatley, I don't know anything about their mic preamp since I just got eq modules.

You have different model, but I assume anything with "schlumb..." in it's name is excellent! Go for it!

I have attached pic of the UPS4000 that I've found on the net. You'll notice that it looks different from your model. But who knows what may be the difference inside between those two models...

Attachments

• Schlumberger UPS 4000 console.jpg
    Schlumberger UPS 4000 console.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 160
He's really busy these days but you might try contacting Oliver Archut at TAB Funkenwerk.
He has a lot of knowledge and information about European electronics (especially East and West German) and may even have schematics.

Wow, it's suprising how much that looks like an old Studer console,
at least as far as the input section anyway...

Great to recognize this modules!
We have put in a rack 8 eqs 4 preamps and 4 low-cut/high-cut filter modules, so efficient!
  The preamps are very clean, sounds close to reality, input transformer and 3 aop stage

shot said:
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about their consoles. They stopped making them long ago and since company changed completely. They manufacture different stuff now.

But, I have two EQ modules from their UPS4000 console. Simple lo/high shelf with mid parametric. They sound fantastic! Many times I run vocal tracks in the mix through them instead of using Pultec. Mid band on my EQ is a bit too narrow so it's not that usable, but shelving highs is a magic. Also, shelving lows on bass or kick drum brings such fatness into the track. It's worth every single penny to rack those modules and use them! Unfortunatley, I don't know anything about their mic preamp since I just got eq modules.

You have different model, but I assume anything with "schlumb..." in it's name is excellent! Go for it!

I have attached pic of the UPS4000 that I've found on the net. You'll notice that it looks different from your model. But who knows what may be the difference inside between those two models...

Hello - I just discovered your post from 2010!

I am looking at getting a pair of UPS4000 EQs and hoped you could give me some info about them? any schemos or even just basic wiring? What is the connector even?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• page115-1102-full.jpg
    page115-1102-full.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
Well, the piece you show is a high/low filter set, not an EQ per se.  I have a few images, schematics, etc. probably saved from this thread but the closest thing I have is a UPS5000 module which looks like mic pre/eq.

EDIT: 5000, not 4000.  Attached schematic.

Attachments

• UPS5000 schem.jpg
    UPS5000 schem.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 48
OK, this is a start! I see it's one of the filters from the UPS4000 console.

I guess the preamp schematic would reveal something as it's the same console

Thanks so much!

I've replied to adamasnan with all the documents I have for UPS4000 EQ, but since this unit gets some attention from time to time, I went to create posts with schematics I have in Technical Documents section
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=75330.0

There I have included TMS4031 schemo from saint gillis and UPS5000 preamp schemo from mjrippe (thanks fellas!)

shot said:
I've replied to adamasnan with all the documents I have for UPS4000 EQ, but since this unit gets some attention from time to time, I went to create posts with schematics I have in Technical Documents section
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=75330.0

There I have included TMS4031 schemo from saint gillis and UPS5000 preamp schemo from mjrippe (thanks fellas!)

Well done, I am always torn between posting in the thread and posting in the Tech Docs.  I generally do Docs for gear that already has an entry there, threads for obscure stuff like this.  But once you have a few pieces it is worth putting them all in one place!

WOW thanks guys, this is so helpful!

I will get the filters and report back!!

Can anyone comment on the type of connector the ups4000 system uses?

adamasnan said:
Can anyone comment on the type of connector the ups4000 system uses?

I don't know exact type.
I just soldered wires to the connector pads and not gave much thinking about it!

Hi all! back again!

So I have a couple of TMC 4032 hi/lo pass filter modules and am already confused in hooking them up for testing..

according to the pinout of two schematics (TMC 4030, 4031), it should be consistent, but I have a couple of things to ask:

- why might it appear that 1/2 is bridged directly to 15/17 and not (?) connected anywhere else? (16 has no trace) - It passes audio directly..

- the powering on +15v requires pins 3,6,7,11,12: every one of those pins connected right? and 0v is ground or -15v? for power?

Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• TMC 4032 1.png
    TMC 4032 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Back