500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteiger

White Market Member
Hey guys,

I have had this idea in my head for a few years now. A few of my friends tell me it’s crazy just due to possible support type issues. I guess I am crazy cuz I don’t think it’s too big of a task to tackle.

Here’s the jist. I have successfully built line in only versions of the input channels from my ’76 API desk. I have them formatted for the monitor bucket and are pin compatible with the old IC based API 812 modules. They are a bastard size of .75" wide and 10.65” in length. I have had numerous enquiries about them but have been dragging my feet in ordering stock due to the concept mentioned here. I knew that I would eventually format them for this nice and popular 500 size and I didn’t want anybody mad who ended up with the bastard size but really wanted a normal 500 size project. The monitor size channels are really most beneficial to someone who has an actual old API board and wants to make that part of it better, like myself and Dennis(aka API) in Sweden.

Here’s what I am thinking.

Channel faceplates will be the standard 1.5” X 5.25” size. The PCB’s will be 4.5” X 5.6”. Each channel will be made of (2) standoff sandwiched PCB’s. They are more or less the same circuit found in my console. I can explain in great detail but it may get very long.

The overall concept would be for 8 channel buckets. I would use 3mm motherboard’s with 2 oz copper, .156” card edge connectors and .156” Molex headers. Top and bottom metal would be .0625” zinc plated steel. They would be similar to the top and bottom of the 51x rack. The sides would be .125" aluminum and would be flush with the faceplate. They would be designed to bolt together, side by side. No back’s for the buckets. The backplane would be the back.

I have the input channels worked out which you can see on the pdf below. These CAD drawings are pre-lim. I start all of my layouts in AlphaCAM so I can work the faceplate, backplane and the circuit all at once. Before anyone says it, I have not labeled all of the parts properly in the silk…yet! I have not double and triple checked the circuit but am 98% sure it is solid as is. From here, all of my necessary CAD layers are exported and then imported into ARES for tracks and what not.

Anyhow, I have a lot of  time into this and will gladly continue if there is any interest. It will be a huge project and I’m sure it will not be cheap or quick.

Best, Jeff

To be absolutely honest.....

Hell Yes!!!!!!!!

I've thought how it would be useful to work the new 51X formatted stuff into a semi modular console format, looks like your a few light years ahead of me.

Keep up the excellent work...

kazper said:
Hell Yes!!!!!!!!

I had big plans to try and start making one last year but I'm nowhere nearer than I was then, this looks like you've already added everything I was wanting per channel.

Hey Jeff-
This would be an awesome idea.  The existing console offerings based on the 500 series have been a bit underwhelming thusfar and I think you could develop a seriously useful product here.  If the backbone of the console (mixbus, cue, speaker select, etc) were full featured and could then be added to with many buckets of pre's, eq's and comps you would be hitting the ball out of the park.  I would have to seriously consider parting with my (very nice) large format console for such a design.  It would be a hell of a way to sell VPxx offerings too! ;)
I hope you pursue this further!
Cheers,
Ryan

Yeah - was thinking of doing something like this sometime in my life too but ended
up happy with my Neumann - I LOVE modular consoles.

Awesome there's someone out there who's nuts for it - especially if it's in the 51x
format, makes it waaaaaaaay cool because you can stick it all in one. Add a patchbay,
mmmmmmhmmm :)

I'll have a GSSL that fits in there soon enough ;)

You, my good man, are a sick hump. You need professional help. This is a very good idea. The 500-series is great but it's got limitations. Mic pre's are a no-brainer. EQ's aren't that hard. Compressors..... not as easy. (Yes, they can be done. But it ain't a full-featured compressor.). This is a logical extension of the format. Purple does this (well, something similar) with his Super 8 rack series and his Bust mixer (which is straight up 500-series except you need his box). Bone-a-lux modular mixer system does this too (I own one. Actually, two. Sickness.). I am building my own discrete mixer right now (as Jeff already knows). I am not going to abandon that. But circuit boards are much easier than a lot of hand wiring (duh.). I am pretty certain I want to be involved with this. I just printed out the .pdf all blown up. Pencil me in for 16 channels. Where do I send my check? DW.

Keep up the good work my friend! Looks awesome!  I knew you would go this route with your monitor modules. At least I was hoping you would.  This is what I had in mind when I purchased the 812 averill modules from you.

I am interested. Keep going!

audiohammer

Tubemooley said:
You, my good man, are a sick hump....
Thanks Dana. Taken purely as a complement!

So, some quick details if you haven't picked them up from the CAD pdf.

Input channels:
  • Differential balanced line only input using a 2520 style DOA
  • 2 Cue sends that are default pre-fader, can be switched to post-fader
  • 4 Echo sends that are only post-fader.
  • All level pots are 10K Bourns log, PCB mount
  • Transformer balanced output/send after first stage DOA. Signal from trafo goes to Molex header on motherboard. This output could go to a patchbay then to a 500 series EQ bucket input.
  • Channel On pushbutton is directly after the unbalanced insert return signal from EQ bucket. Cue pre-fader signal mults from this point which allows Cues to be used if the channel is off.
  • Input of fader signal is taken directly from the Channel On switch. So, the EQ module drives the channel fader. The insert point Molex can be jumpered so that the first stage DOA drives the fader. An EQ or other module is not a necessity.
  • Fader wiper signal is coupled to the Filter section. Filter 1 only is 100hz HP. Filter 2 only is 200hz HP. Both Filters engaged is 60hz HP.
  • Filter out signal goes to the 2nd stage DOA. This DOA drives all Echo pots and Cue pots if set to post-fader.
  • Pan pot is also feed from 2nd stage DOA. Pan pot is a dual 10K lin that is slugged. I have it about -4.25db. Can be adjusted to whatever one likes.
  • Pan signals feed the 47K bus R's that are on the left PCB. These will be omitted/ignored if a separate subgroup module is used. The option gives one the ability to have a stereo only mixer with no subgroup busing modules needed.
  • Meter buffer signal also comes from 2nd stage DOA. Buffer is hi impedance inverting using an LM741. This signal goes to Molex header for an optional 8 VU meters in an 8 slot wide bucket. 2 rows of 4. Hairball Mike's meters should work perfectly I believe.
  • Solo is relay based and will be Solo In Place. My old board is only mono.  :'( Activating the Solo switch will send the 2 post pan pot signals through bus R's and to the L/R Solo buses. 24V Com signal will also be coupled to the Solo Logic bus which will eventually switch the control room signal source to these solo buses. So, Solo is considered "non-destructive"
  • Polarity reverse is relay based and flips the secondaries of the 2623-1 trafo.
  • Channel Mute is relay based and is directly at the channel's input. This can be jumpered over if not wanted. More on this option later.

OK. Digest that for a while. I will be back later to verbally sketch out fader modules and subgroup modules.

Cheers, Jeff  ;)

[silent:arts] said:
...soon we will need our own card edge connector factory :eek:
Yes we will. I guess you noticed that each module will require 2-36 pin card edge connectors? It was the best way to get everything as functional as we all want.

BTW, I did increase our current edge connector order to 2500pc.  :eek:

Would it be possible to put buckets of module before this, i.e. Mic pre bucket, eq bucket, compressor bucket, then bus assignment and line input?

"Would it be possible to put buckets of module before this, i.e. Mic pre bucket, eq bucket, compressor bucket, then bus assignment and line input?"

Yep. You are describing the API format. The DOA's and Trannys you see in this schema recieve your Mic pre's your Eq's, what have you.

Denyle Guitars said:
Is it possible to add an A/B input to switch b/t mic pre and line/tape inputs w/o repatching?
Tom,

My first thought was to put the rest of the mic pre circuit in there which would then basically give you a VP26. There are only a few components missing. Mainly the 25K CCW pot, 2622 input iron and a switch. I decided against this as most of us have plenty of outboard pres these days as well as front panel real-estate being pretty tight. I know I could save some space with mini switches and dual conc knobs/pots and so on but I wanted to maintain and more vintage/classic console feel to the panel layout with the cool aluminum knobs and bullet switch caps.

I think the best way to handle this is with control circuits and relays that would be more near the back of the structure. Probably underneath the meters. The control switch could be located elsewhere. There will be some available space in some of my other planned modules that I will explain shortly.

Cheers, Jeff

very interested. also jeff if yr interested in some schematics and such I've got these:
API1.jpg

API3.jpg

which were built by me from surplus from an API 2488 refurb, designed and executed by Paul Wolff. To go with I also have routing modules and a motherboard for the bottom of the buckets. I'd do anything I can to spare you engineering time after marvelling at the 51X job y'all did. Furthermore anyone taken a closer gander than this at this?

http://www.ambertech.com.au/feature.php?articleID=1375

Back