500 series modular API style console...625CR Control Room Module Done Page 21!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my ignorance but I have a couple questions regarding this project that looks very interesting and soon to be a reality.

My first question is in regards to integration. How would this console integrate into a project studio that is primarily daw based (pro tools & logic pro)?
My current setup consist of an iMac 27 inch computer axiom 61 key, apogee Duet 2, robbie preamp, and 2 blue mics.

I have recently built several modules in the 51X format and was wondering will this console support various pre's running at once or will all the pre's and eq's have to be of the same type? ( example..4 ssl pre's, 4ssl style compressors, and 4 api style eq's for a total of four channels. Then 4 channels of api pre's with 4 nite eq's, and 4 1176 compressors. ) Essentially what i'm asking is will each channel be separate allowing the complete console to be mix and match 51x/500 series modules?

I currently use something like a jbl msc1 as a basic control center something like a mackie big knob, will i no longer need this if building this console?

what will power this console?

If these questions have been answered already please someone point me to the page or response number

Thanks
G

OK, this module is officially 100% complete. Here are the final test results.

Any stereo source input to any stereo speaker output. All test results are 20Hz to 20kHz, +4dBu input @ 1kHz unless otherwise noted.

Frequency Response: Within 0.1dBu, 10Hz to 100kHz
THD+N: Less than 0.0015%
Noise (A-weighted): -98dBu
Phase: Less than +/- 3°
Max Input Level: +28dBu (Less than 1% THD)
Crosstalk @ 1kHz: -111dBu
Crosstalk @ 10kHz: -99dBu
L/R Gain Accuracy: Less than 0.05dBu at any gain switch setting
Input Impedance: 17 kOhms
Output Impedance: 50 Ohms (600 Ohm drive capability)

Here are some pics of the final version. Click the thumbs for a larger view.

Component side of Left PCB

Component side of Sub PCB

Component side of Right PCB

Rear

Rear

Rear

Rear

Front

Front right

Front left

That’s it for now!
Cheers, Jeff  :)

Wow,that's an awesome piece Jeff!
I hereby declare I am officially overwhelmed!
The big knob on that Elma switch must give one a niiiiiiiccccceeeeee feeling!

Best from Munich,

Udo.

Very cool, ugh. Are you going to put this on the web shop soon? This could be cool as part of rack monitor controller as well, without the full console :)

Yes it will be available alone as I figured folks would want to build some sort of box for standalone use. I will be a little while before I make it available at the store though. I feel like I crossed a hurdle just getting it finally done and off my plate!

Toure14 said:
Please excuse my ignorance but I have a couple questions regarding this project that looks very interesting and soon to be a reality.

My first question is in regards to integration. How would this console integrate into a project studio that is primarily daw based (pro tools & logic pro)?
My current setup consist of an iMac 27 inch computer axiom 61 key, apogee Duet 2, robbie preamp, and 2 blue mics.

I have recently built several modules in the 51X format and was wondering will this console support various pre's running at once or will all the pre's and eq's have to be of the same type? ( example..4 ssl pre's, 4ssl style compressors, and 4 api style eq's for a total of four channels. Then 4 channels of api pre's with 4 nite eq's, and 4 1176 compressors. ) Essentially what i'm asking is will each channel be separate allowing the complete console to be mix and match 51x/500 series modules?

I currently use something like a jbl msc1 as a basic control center something like a mackie big knob, will i no longer need this if building this console?

what will power this console?

If these questions have been answered already please someone point me to the page or response number

Thanks
G

Think about it, bro.  If you build a console with 16 channels, you'll need an interface with 16 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs, so you can go back and forth between the DAW and Console.  You should go visit a real studio with an actual 32+ channel console, and ask them how they incorporate their console.  your Duet won't cut it for somethin' like this, unless you only send the Master mix to the duet inputs. 

Is the idea of a wet/dry poti for the insert crazy?

I would like to see the direct out at the fader or input module (not at the additional routing module), this would help to use the 3D profile for tracking, otherwise 4D profile would be a must!

jsteiger said:
Hello folks

I have just test fit and approved the faceplates for the final version of the 428 input modules. I have some pics here to see what I have been up to with this project. These boards are Rev 2 and will be replaced by Rev 3 when they arrive. I am pretty sure Rev 3 will be the last version. The biggest change will be that all of these board-to-board jumper wires will be replaced by a single 3M header and socket. The other tweaks are mostly logic based changes.

I am finally getting close though!

Cheers, Jeff  :)

If using the input modul with fader option, would this in some kind result in "two" channels? This would be a amazing feature and we would have an inline console!

:p

Jeff, i've been a bit slow on the DIY front lately... but this might just rekindle my passion. Mate, I think you need to set up a marriage guidance helpline for all of those on the forum with the courage to undertake this!

I'm just trying to imagine how much money, and time it would take to build this console. I suppose if you had all the parts, and all the 'console' modules themselves... in one big fell swoop, you could build this in say 2 weeks? Every time I look at these pics I get a boner mate!

havent been here in a while, amazing progress Jeff! the spec sheet is awesome! when this becomes available, it will be my first and last "real deal" console! It will also be my last refi on my house...i mean it! I gotta just keep steadily building vp's and lc's until this thing is done so i can filler up ::) Are you going to offer CAPIAC?(classic audio products of Illinois audio credit ;D)

Latest posts

Back