Desk slaughter / part harvesting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPA2604 is not a good match for mixers anyway, high current consumption being only one of the reasons. It's not a particularly good opamp, sound or specs. It's more like a distortion generator (see mr. Groner's opamp testbench shootout), and makes a weird hyped/scooped sound. You're going to regret 24 channels of that in a row because there's no escape then. Try two channels for stereo usage first and see if you like it.

Ow, so I probably like distortion, haha!

It just gave me that itsy bit of luxurious sound that I was looking for. Not that the difference was that big. More powerconsumption is something I forgot since my PSU was big enough anyway, but 3x... whow, that's a big difference. With a 24ch desk, that can be asking for trouble......

Kingston said:
Try two channels for stereo usage first and see if you like it.

Always the wisest thing to do, yes.

Having somewhat recently gone through a similar mixer remodeling project there are two things that seemed most important:

PSU upgrade, and decoupling upgrades across the board.

The net gain of improving those two depends on how well the manufacturer implemented them in the first place, but I'm willing to bet even DDA has skimped on these. I actually didn't just upgrade the PSU, but completely replaced everything but the case. decoupling is easily tested channel by channel (or group by group) basis. Those DDA modular PCB's seem sparse, which leaves plenty of room for on-board additions.

Random noise bursts, crackles etc and all mentionable hiss disappeared, with original manufacturer specifications improved remarkably. I used to hear when even ours neighbours fridge turned it self on. The PSU now blocks it.

Since you have a whole 24 channels to experiment with, a very interesting thing to try is opamp upgrade variations. For example, read some of Samuel Groners massive opamp shootout conclusions, select like 5-10 most interesting opamps, and swap them in. Some work really well as filter buffers, others across the board, others only as "interesting" (but maybe usable) distortion generators. Others handle over-driving gracefully, others become downright nasty. Unexpected things will happen, like some channels with cheap opamps generating obvious (but subtle) harmonics and always sounding just slightly louder than other channels on perfectly equal (measured) gain.

This way I ended up with 16 subtly varied channels and it was a fun experiment. 'High end' stereo group here, 'muffled stomp box' there. Maybe you'll end up with a brilliant sounding "coloring book" like I did.

helterbelter said:
More powerconsumption is something I forgot since my PSU was big enough anyway, but 3x... whow, that's a big difference. With a 24ch desk, that can be asking for trouble......
This is the reason why I noticed that point... On the "cheap" desks, most of the time PSU is not really oversized... And DDA didn't oversized their PSU...
I will experiment some different opamps in mine trying to see what the difference/improvement can be as I changed my original PSU for a lot bigger one. To be honnest I'm not sure the improvements will be huge as DDA are really well built/drawn desks, using prooved design and prooved opamps... TL0XX are not the better opamps but they do the job and many mighty desks are using them so...

Back