Gear Samples and Revies on Youtube - forgive me

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce42

Has anyone noticed the proliferation of home demo's of gear on Youtube? People talking with absolute conviction about their gear and doing demonstrations for the internet audience to hear how good the gears sounds - all recorded through the microphone of a video camera or mobile phone!

So forgive my cynicism, but how does one hear the specific nuances of some extremely expensive boutique unit if it was recorded with the built in mic of video camera? Is this not the most obvious thing that is being missed?

be sure they don't have a U87 for their built in camera mic.  :p

not to mention the ridiculous amount of compression youtube does to the videos.  A band I worked with posted a live mix I did with a concert video of theirs, and it made me vomit when hearing what youtube had done to my mix!

it's usually people wanting to gloat about what they got and more often then not they have no idea how to really use it.

The person I need to impress or convince is me and my ears.  The rest falls into place when I am recording/mixing.

There is something ghastly too about the way that Youtube encodes drums.  It makes them all sound the same - mushy with strange transients.

I hate the built in mic maneuver.  When I did a little how to video I did a separate audio overdub with a nice mic, preamp, and some processing.  Youtube still managed to make it sound like crapolla.

It just makes me think less of the gear if it is a builder who is recording using a video cam mic - (unless it sounds really good despite!)

CC

Back