SSL 4000 compatible floppy drive

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

One of the 2 floppy drives, program and reel has decided to stop working properly. It is destroying my program disks. good thing I have copies of our master so it is only destroying saftey copies. I swapped the drive with the reel drive and now it loads up but I am 1 drive short.

Anyone know where I can get a compatible or replacement teac 3.5 drive?

PAD as well.  There was a window there where the fresh TEAC drives had pin jumpers and you could configure a drive to be the stupidest format, chop the SSL IDC connector key to reverse it, and you had a new drive.  That was an impressive feat by one Dave Jensen at Unique c. 1988.  SSL wanted $250 for a drive that cost them $30.  Then TEAC put SMT jumpers instead and I tried to configure some $30 drives a few times and could not get them to work.  Blast!  They really made it tough to change the drive for OEME outside of the factory.
Mike

yeah  PAD was escaping my memory this morning.

I got it working. I swapped the program drive that was destroying disks with the reel drive. It boots now and for whatever reason the former program disk(dodgy drive) which is now the reel disk drive is working like normal. Now I did jostle the dodgy suspect drive around a bit. So maybe I managed to remove whatever foreign material was causing it to scratch my program disk magentic platters.
Failure is  imminent me thinks so having a spare drive will be good.

This situation has me looking for that dusty TEAC research box.  I have been doing more SMT work lately.  Theres going to be a whole bunch of those going wiggy, even if only mechanically.
Another thing I have found is that the un-used Berno box can become spiteful and cause problems with the MINI's.  I removed Bernos from any SCSI chains.
The whole 4K automation system is an egg-shell walk!  I keep them clean, keep the fans spinning, and shmooze them when I am around.
Mike
PS: I think the number of 4KE&G+ consoles sold is 2500.

Latest posts

Back