Mac upgrade success !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartyMart said:
If you're in the UK then "John Lewis" is a good place to get a Mac as they give you a
2 year warranty with it for free rather than 1 year!!

Hopefully you'll never need to use it! Most of my macs if anything, have lasted too long.
My performa lasted until it was just too ridiculous to use. I upgraded a G3 tower for about 7 years - never had a problem. My G4 powerbook got dropped on concrete so many times the body was malformed, screen cracked, latch broken, but it kept chugging away. The only problem I've had was with a G5 tower whose power supply died after 4 years. It was a well-known problem with that model...

Just a note. Under EU legislation the warranty period for all non consumable goods is 2 YEARS.
Don't be fooled by claims of the 'free' extra year of cover, or the denial of a two year warranty either.

I've been there and bought the 'T' shirt. Clearly this only applies to the EU member states.

kato said:
Hopefully you'll never need to use it! Most of my macs if anything, have lasted too long.

Still have a "pre silver door" G4 1gig machine that works like it was new ( 2001 ) and a powerbook
Titanium that I gave to a mate, it's "mint" condition ( 2003 )
So agreed !

MM.

My mac mini recently took a dump. The hard drive directory tree got corrupted...  I bought a new hard drive for it, but haven't given up trying to salvage some of my old data first.  Low on my list of hot projects. I think I need to buy a putty knife to take the mac apart.

Funny, I never lost a PC drive in a few decades, but apparently the mini uses a laptop drive. Wouldn't that be more robust? Go figure.

JR

Hi John - quite the reverse, I find 2.5inch drives to be less reliable !

Yeah, putty knife down the edges to "unclip" and slowly wiggle the case away.
Don't go too deep ( 1/2 inch or so ) as there are cables and sensors not too far down the edges !!
regards,
Marty.

Latest posts

Back