69. Not Helios/Phaeton. Pics/schematics/building support thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well guys the fix seems easy enough doesn't it....  for the low cut AND the low boost to function properly you NEED a dual gang 1x11 switch and a trace cut between a6 and A because that trace permanently bypasses the low cut. And then wire both decks of the switch like on the original schematic. Also you'll need to wire all switches and pots on the filter pcb offboard to facilitate for the bigger low boost/cut switch.

disclaimer: i don't own this pcb so this advice is just coming from me looking at the schematic and comparing it to the original schematic. I do however have a working pcb layout of this filter circuit.

greetings,

Thomas

thanks hobiesound, i havent had time to check this out but like u im sure its not that difficulta solution...

if u read through one of igor latest updates his market he has put repairing the 69 on the top of his list.
he's a busy man it will take time, i have faith.

mick

Hi guys, and sorry it took so much time - currently, I working in Tel Aviv and living in Haifa,
it is about 100 km to each direction back and fourth every day, and absolutely had no time for anything.
Finally, I had some time, and, as first priority thing, putting here the fix.

I tried to source low profile 2x11pos switch, but is is impossible, or I missing something.
The fix is a bit barbarian, but I checked it and it works 100%.
Sorry for bad quality of pictures, I had to build/test both pcb versions of this EQ from scratch in limited time,
as first proto is working at my friend's studio in St. Petersburg (he using it without low cuts and happy).

There were 2 versions of PCB's. One version needs only the low frequency switch fix.

It goes exactly as

hobiesound said:
well guys the fix seems easy enough doesn't it....  for the low cut AND the low boost to function properly you NEED a dual gang 1x11 switch and a trace cut between a6 and A because that trace permanently bypasses the low cut. And then wire both decks of the switch like on the original schematic. Also you'll need to wire all switches and pots on the filter pcb offboard to facilitate for the bigger low boost/cut switch.

disclaimer: i don't own this pcb so this advice is just coming from me looking at the schematic and comparing it to the original schematic. I do however have a working pcb layout of this filter circuit.

greetings,

Thomas

Many thanx to Thomas for good explanation, and here are the pictures:

- Schematic of how-to wire the switch:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/SWITCH.jpg

- Da FIX:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/1.png

- Semi-hi-res pic showing all this:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/P1060256.jpg

The switch which fits is Grayhill, 71 series, 71BD30-02-1 AJN.
PLEASE CHECK WITH DATASHEET,

www.grayhill.com/catalog/Rotary_71.pdf

because I used Grayhills pulled from old measurement equipment,
and they had no markings.

Fixing:

First, cut the PCB as shown here:

P1060232.jpg

P1060231.jpg

Wire the switch and connect both wipers to A! point.

P1060242.jpg

P1060237.jpg

This is the fix for low cuts issue.

As well, there were some PCB's with LOW BOOST problem.

If you have a problem with LOW BOOST switch (if it starts from +15db), the fix is simple as well.

Check this:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/2.png

Cut 2 traces; for the trace on top layer, if low boost switch is not soldered, it is easy,
OR, if switch is already soldered on PCB, drill the hole 1.5mm like here:

P1060254.jpg

And connect wire as shown:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/2.png

That's all. Here are all pros and cons:

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/HELIOS_FIX/

Well, after posting "how-to", let's think about practical side.

If I issued the PCB's with mistake, I should help to fix it without getting into details how it happened
(the collective work and never listen to "good ideas", note to myself)).

This way, I thought out a way of fair compensation....let me know what do you think.

For those who bought the pcb's only, I already have this EQ in 500 series at the stage of drawn PCB and
have to order the proto pcb's and test it. In other words, if you bought PCB's only,
ask for 500 series PCB set for free, just pay shipping ($10).

As well, there were 12-14 kits.

If you bought kits, mail me with transaction ID, I ordering the Grayhill 71BD30-02-1 switches in few days from Digikey,
they show "no stock", but it is matter of month-two; when I receive the switches, just pay shipping ($10) and they will be sent to your address.

MAIL ME with your address etc.

PLEASE NOTE:  Write "HELIOS FIX" in mail subject.

Thanks Igor!!

Here the ordering codes for who ordered the pcb only:

Farnell  Ordercode: 1190401

RS stocknummer 2508974858

Hi Igor
I brought the kit from Jim McEvan long time ago. Now I thought about building it but I can see that there is a problem with the lowend switch and you offers to order a new switch. Would it be possible to ship them to me?

Cheers
Soren

??? :'( :'(
Soeren_DK said:
Hi Igor
I brought the kit from Jim McEvan long time ago. Now I thought about building it but I can see that there is a problem with the lowend switch and you offers to order a new switch. Would it be possible to ship them to me?

Cheers
Soren

i got me some grayhills and i am now very very close to a working unit. please allow me one question:

i am using the helios style line amp: what does F.B. and FBG stand for? is it something so obvious that i should find out myself?

best, g

Feedback? Anyway, there is R13 with 1M in series to C5. What you are supposed to do is connect a resistor in parallel to R13, to set the gain of the amp. Smaller resistor = higher gain. Or use a trimmer to dial in exactly unity gain. If you short R13 completely to ground you have maximum gain.

Yep. Some good news:

P1060636.jpg

Will be shipped to those who bought the kits within a week.

Mind, Helios situation is way better than Hawkboard.
(If I issued this board, and there was a prob, should be the FIX. :) )

More good news:

51x_ver.jpg

rack_ver.jpg

P1060634.jpg

P1060616.jpg

P1060615.jpg

P1060613.jpg

Great news...  :) :) :) :)
I'll pm you my address.
As mentioned before I bought the kit from Jim Evan so no need to send the switch to him.  ;)

Cheers
Soren

Latest posts

Back