Needed Advice: 9 pole circular connector - strong enough for dummies.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Ladies and Gents,

I'm assembling a new demo to ship overseas. My previous one had 9 cables between the demo device, and a control unit.

I was able to fly along with the demo and set it up for customers before, so I knew exactly what connected where. It looked a little bit of a shambles, but given it was put together in 10 days, the customer thought it was okay.

I now have the luxury of a few weeks to assemble the next batch, I'd like to reduce the system down to one single big *ss cable, with a connector designed to be punished by our sales teams worldwide.

Can any of you suggest a reasonably priced, relatively easy to assemble connector for this purpose, with PCB connections for the units, and pre-made cables for the interbox connections?
I thought of DB9 cables, but I need to transfer up to 2A at 24VDC on 2 of the cables, and am not sure if that'll do the trick.

Cheers

/R

Maybe DB9 connectors with just thicker wire?  I'm sure the connectors themselves could handle that current. But even 2 amp at 24 VDC isn't that much-certainly

Rochey said:
Ladies and Gents,

I'm assembling a new demo to ship overseas. My previous one had 9 cables between the demo device, and a control unit.

I was able to fly along with the demo and set it up for customers before, so I knew exactly what connected where. It looked a little bit of a shambles, but given it was put together in 10 days, the customer thought it was okay.

I now have the luxury of a few weeks to assemble the next batch, I'd like to reduce the system down to one single big *ss cable, with a connector designed to be punished by our sales teams worldwide.

Can any of you suggest a reasonably priced, relatively easy to assemble connector for this purpose, with PCB connections for the units, and pre-made cables for the interbox connections?
I thought of DB9 cables, but I need to transfer up to 2A at 24VDC on 2 of the cables, and am not sure if that'll do the trick.

Cheers

/R

OK, so they'll fail in "reasonably priced" but Lemo makes some excellent connectors. Available in both PCB mount and cable mount. I can't think of anyone who sells pre-made cables assemblies, though.

-a

If your looking for something semi industrial you may want to take a look at the M12 connectors and cables and work your way up.
http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/menu/en/17678

I use the M12 connectors and cables all the time for light industrial applications. You can also buy them from lots of different branding companies, and most local industrial electrical suppliers will have them in stock. There a very inexpensive and depending on how the cable is dressed, very durable.

One family that will fit the bill is the MIL-C-26482 series of circular multipole connectors. It has almost everything going for it: sturdy, high-voltage/high-current capable, available in several densities and designed to be hooked up by grunts in the dark under fire. Only downside is the price, but if this is a professional demo your time in installing them will likely cost more than the parts, never mind the cost in lost sales and customer confidence if connector failure messes with the demo.

(They're not that expensive either -- a quick glance at Digi-Key's online catalog shows that prices for a 10-pin panel mount connetor start at $11).

JDB.

I just used this series for a seismometer I'm working on:
Hirose LF13WBP-11

It has 4 larger pins for power and 7 small signal pins.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/641/1321.pdf

Its even watertight.  Maybe more than you need, but it had a good keying system and a nice clean quarter turn lock.

Latest posts

Back