The significance of the FET-topology?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ribbledox

Hallo!

:grin:

I have a quite weird and perhaps pointles question, but that may be very useful for the conclusion of my paper.

So I would really appraciate your view...;=)

Looking at all the compressor topologies that exist today, how significant is the FET-topology for pro-audio compressors/limiters today?

Considering that the topology was very significant to the evolution of limiters in the 1960's,
it obviously was put in shadow by introduction of the much more linear and predictable VCA (i.e, multiplier-topologies).

Has it become another vintage-topology, still used and alive thanks to us vintage-freaks, and only featured in compressors/limiters where a vintage approach is the aim (modern 1176 clones)? Or is it actually a very advantagous topology, superior to the VCA in many aspects?

Cheers=)

:cool:

From a non-technical standpoint, I'd have to say that neither is better. They are different, and useful for some of the same applications, and other different applications.

For instance, I'd take a 160 compressor (vca based) for kick and snare over a FET any day. On the other hand, I'd take a FET for vocals and guitars, any day.

Again, that's my non-technical opinion. I guess I don't think it's possible to say one is better than the other, because both are useful for in their own right. It's one of those subjective things...

Technically speaking...I don't have a clue!! :green:

Thank you Jay!

Yes, I looking at it from a strictly technical standpoint.

From the subjective standpoint I totally agree with you...no topology is better.

Cheers!

/R

Latest posts

Back