clean build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

Hey guys, I'm nearing completion of my second GSSL I'm doing things differently from mistakes i learnt from the first.
Ive noticed in many peoples pictures they have little covers over the wires where they join to pins on pots and connectors, what are these called, I use Rapid online so I assume they will have them.
Also from experience what is the best wire to get for soldering onto pins, ie: the gauge, the type, the coating.
I know these are basic questions but the devil is in the detail!

It's called heat shrink. Rapid (or any parts store) has a massive selection of these.

You can get "starter kit" like this: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Sleeving-Heat-Shrink/Heat-Shrink/Deray-Heatshrink-kits/81466/kw/shrink+tube

Or save money and buy several common sizes you need: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Sleeving-Heat-Shrink/Heat-Shrink/Coloured-heatshrink/73512/kw/shrink+tube

Or buy by the meter for the absolute cheapest deal. Common sizes you will need are anything between 2mm to 10mm (size before shrinking). Prices commonly are well below €1/meter. If not, you're looking at the wrong product.

That link Walrus posted, I have never seen that stuff used anywhere. It's probably nothing you need.

Found a much cheaper starter kit, updated the link above.

Then what you're looking for is standard equipment wire (category in rapid store), usually sold in 100m reels. Don't get solid core. Get several sizes, anything copper is a good choice.

For places where you need shielded wire, I've found this to be a very good choice: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Cables/Screened-Audio-Cable/OFC-Professional-1-pair/62370

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Wire-and-Cable/

maybe take a look in "Heat Shrink Tubing" ...

+1 for the hellerman sleeves

there is an installation tool if you really want to stretch them
good for bundling wires together

Kingston said:
It's called heat shrink. Rapid (or any parts store) has a massive selection of these ...

That link Walrus posted, I have never seen that stuff used anywhere. It's probably nothing you need.

Completely the OPPOSITE, in fact.

Hellerman sleeves are the rubber sleeves that you find in PRO audio gear (Neve, for example) that are fitted over wires attached to pots and switches like little rubber boots.

You use a three-pronged tool that opens out, to stretch the sleeves in diameter while you poke the wire through, and a proprietary lubricant (just mineral oil) to slide the sleeve over the wire onto the soldered joint.

Much, much better than heatshrink, because you can remove and refit the sleeve afterwards if necessary. You also don't need to blow hot air all over your equipment.

It's a little more expensive to invest in Hellerman sleeves (you need to buy the tool first), but well worth it in my opinion for the practical advantage, and the professional appearance too.

some lubricant "dust and crud magnet" all over PCB's and wires is a good thing why exactly? That tubing also costs about 10x any standard heat shrink. And the need for some special tool? It's the main reason most crimping solutions also suck and become unnecessarily costly.

Yes, I still vote against.

Heat shrink is dirt cheap, "re use" a complete non-issue. Hot air over equipment that previously got heated to 300 degrees by soldering is a non-issue also. Completely beginner proof.

Ever since the first time i used those sleeves i practically banned heatshrink. It's simply amazing!
Unlike heatshrink it doesn't become stiff. It's a lot faster to work with, sleeves are precut sizes so it saves quite some preparation time and it looks better because they have exactly the same length.

You should check out the sleeves from SES, the smaller sizes are already lubricated.
The cost of the three prong tool is easily justified by the time you save, especially in studio installs. Maybe it's overkill for the occasional diy project. But you can also use them to bundle wires. Much cleaner than tie wraps.

Arno said:
Unlike heatshrink it doesn't become stiff.

Isn't that most of the time the reason we use heat shrink in the first place? Extra insulation, but also more mechanical support so the wires no longer move around.

Kingston said:
Arno said:
Unlike heatshrink it doesn't become stiff.

Isn't that most of the time the reason we use heat shrink in the first place? Extra insulation, but also more mechanical support so the wires no longer move around.

I had more wires break up with heatshrinks than with sleeves.
Sleeves don't get hard but they do provide extra support to make sure the cable can't bend over several times till it breaks off.
After all, if a solder connection has to rely on the heatshrink for it's durability, there's another fundamental problem gooing on.

Can't say I'm not tempted to at least try those Hellermans at some point.

The main problem I've had with heat shrink is that it tends to break at any sharper bits. Usually exactly at pot lugs where wire is wrapped around them and soldered into a little lump. And it often has at least one sharp bit that breaks the heat shrink. There is of course much thicker and harder heat shrink available but those are often SO hard that one needs to seriously take it into account with wiring so it won't break or strain anything.

Seriously, check out ses. They're in france i think.
Their sleeves are pre-lubricated!
They also sell tools (and other things, like heatshrink;)

http://www.ses-sterling.com/

You can order directly from them, and no i'm not affilited.

Latest posts

Back