clean build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the sleeves.

Another advantage is when you get to the debugging or calibration stage...
Not only you still have access for the probes (which is definitely not often the case with heat shrink), but the sleeve hold your probe in place, leaving your hand safely behind your back!

Regarding the dedicated tool, it's not more expensive than a decent air gun...

Speaking of air gun, I now use my hot-air SMD soldering station for heat shrinking, and it's definitely an improvement over the dirty and finger burning cigarette lighter solution I've been messing with for so many years!

Axel

Arno said:
Seriously, check out ses. They're in france i think.
Their sleeves are pre-lubricated!
They also sell tools (and other things, like heatshrink;)

http://www.ses-sterling.com/

You can order directly from them, and no i'm not affilited.
Will check them as well, cheers man.

This is good stuff; keep it up guys.

Walrus and Flinn - wash your mouths out with soap. And don't forget to add the mineral oil first.

Is the Hellerman oil mineral oil?  It is not a dirt magnet when used properly.
I use both shrink and sleeves in my work.  I prefer sleeves inside equipment because I was trained to do console and equipment wiring by Neve guys.
If you do not need to bundle more that 1/2 cm of wire, you do not need the, erm, "spreader".  You can use forcepts or slim needle nose.  I have done full patchbays with curved forcepts and did not lose any time.
Mike

Kingston said:
Found a much cheaper starter kit, updated the link above.

Then what you're looking for is standard equipment wire (category in rapid store), usually sold in 100m reels. Don't get solid core. Get several sizes, anything copper is a good choice.

For places where you need shielded wire, I've found this to be a very good choice: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Cables/Screened-Audio-Cable/OFC-Professional-1-pair/62370

Good call on the cable, I've ordered this for the audio hookups on the GSSL, Also ordered some hellermanns for all the pots and switches.
Again big thangs for all you guys who contributed, even if it was just for entertainment value..... honeymoon pliers it is!

rodabod said:
This is good stuff; keep it up guys.

Walrus and Flinn - wash your mouths out with soap. And don't forget to add the mineral oil first.

I was told that they were "virgin easers" by a very respectable old M.O.D guy I'll have you know !

Sleeves are way more useful than heatshrink IMHO.

sleeves, shrink, fecking fairy dust, aaayeeee! Bugger all that nunsense. Use stripped casing off nicely insulated wire used elsewheres. Get the lead out fer fecksake and get it done.

This thread just really needed a contrarian old curmudgeon perspective. Carry on.  ;)

Latest posts

Back