Tube biasing; Get Rid of Grid Leak Current

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusRec

So I'm still working on my Low Voltage Tube Pre.

The problem I have now is:
The cathode restistor I calculated to get my 0,6V bias is not really working. I mean I get 0,6V on the cathode, but at the same time I have like -200mV on the grid, which sums ip to a bias of -0,8V. My grid resistor is 1M by the way.
I tried different cathode resistors, but in the end I always had about -0,8V cathode + grid.

So should I simply reduce the grid resistor, or is there another way to solve this problem?

Thanks, Sebastian

if  your doing REALLY low voltage, like 9VDC as in the Chandler tubedriver, you have to tie the grid resistor to a positive voltage to overcome "spacecharge"...hopefully someone can chim in axplain it better, I've just report what I've seen( when experimenting with low voltage tube preamps) and retell what I've heard/read on the net.. :)
the PAIA website has a write up on the matter and I believe it was covered in the patent by BK Buttler for the tubedriver(if you can find it)..
J

Johan said:
if  your doing REALLY low voltage, like 9VDC as in the Chandler tubedriver, you have to tie the grid resistor to a positive voltage to overcome "spacecharge"...

My B+ voltage is a bit more then 18VDC. So I think to reduce the grid resitor could help. But I'd like somebody to confirm that, before I pull the resitor out of my PCB  ;)

Replacing the 1M grid resitors really helped. But I'm not sure if it affects the C-R filter (coupling cap + grid resitor) too much.

Does anybody know how I can calculate the input resitance of a tube in parallel with the grid resitor?

And could it become a problem for the input transformer, cause it's driving into a much smaller resistance now...

Latest posts

Back