Device switcher project: any interest?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does programming for ethernet compare to programming for MIDI or USB.
Would it be easy communicate through  ip,  or something compatible to eucon or one of the other network protocols?

kibadachi said:
How does programming for ethernet compare to programming for MIDI or USB.
Would it be easy communicate through  ip,  or something compatible to eucon or one of the other network protocols?
Eucon would be great, but one needs to be a licensee of their technology through the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) they offer.  However, making Eucon for embedded processors may not be possible unless you can run Windows or OSX on your embedded (like maybe... maybe.... maybe Windows CE?).... This is especially true since, part of their NDA precludes you from building the protocol into an interface with faders and the like (it would compete with their controller / console / desk business).  Keep in mind that I have not looked at their technology in almost 6 years so a lot could have changed....

Plus, it is most likely in C++ with variability in serialization and marshaling of data within the confines of a general purpose PC / Mac that has the resources to instantiate memory intensive C++ classes within an operating system and DAW, including adhering to standards like Micorsoft Component Object Model / ActiveX (and .NET etc.)...  I propose however that the work around is to have an aggregation or intermediary "PC" that can install Eucon and then translate it into simple commands for your embedded environment.

Over Ethernet should be fine... There are many (royalty) free IP stacks for embedded processors like the PIC, or SiLabs 8051 variants even....  Just a simpler hand-rolled Ethernet command structure would need to be available and aggregated from another PC that is networked to the DAW for Eucon...

I can't remember... does Nuendo have Eucon as a ($3,000???) add-on still?

I can't remember... does Nuendo have Eucon as a ($3,000???) add-on still?
[/quote]

If you mean the WK Audio ID controllers; yes they are still around starting at 4.5K euro for a basic controller going up to 25K for a 24 channel .
Spending that kind of money i rather go for a used console and enjoy sound rather then control (if it wasnt for the electric bill)

I did some "investigations" on SSL patch....seems it FET-based.
If no, just let me know. Well, Ethernet control etc is cool,
but I simply hate to set-up all this stuff with computers.
In real life, 16 pre-sets is more than enough.
So...I moved on with the PCB design, just stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back